WP PDS 5018 QUESTION - 525 KTM EXC

Posted this in the KTM section, perhaps one of you can help:

2004 525 KTM EXC purchased with 4 hours on it; the shock (& spring) appear to be OEM. The WP PDS owners manual states both compression and rebound should have 40 clicks available, KTM manual states initial settings should be around 19 compression, 24 rebound which somewhat coincides with the PDS book. My shock has 32 compression and 12 rebound. Understanding manuals sometimes can be generic, I understand the published compression click availability could be a little off however with the rebound only having 12, it has me wondering a bit. My question is if the shock has had some valving work done, can and will that affect the number of available settings available?

Many thanks !

Denny 

32 clicks on the compression is about right.

12 on the rebound is not. Valving will not effect available clicks.

I'd suspect that your rebound needle is corroded and seized inside the shock shaft.  This is pretty common on these shocks.

Take the shock out of the bike, flip the shock upside down and remove the rubber plug from under the clevis.  Spray some penetrating oil in there and after letting it sit for a while, even overnight, then very gently try working the rebound adjuster in and out.

Be gentle, as the rebound adjuster can and will break very easily.  If it breaks, you'll need to take it to a suspension shop and have the shock stripped so that the adjuster can be replaced and needle unseized.

32 clicks on the compression is about right.

12 on the rebound is not. Valving will not effect available clicks.

I'd suspect that your rebound needle is corroded and seized inside the shock shaft.  This is pretty common on these shocks.

Take the shock out of the bike, flip the shock upside down and remove the rubber plug from under the clevis.  Spray some penetrating oil in there and after letting it sit for a while, even overnight, then very gently try working the rebound adjuster in and out.

Be gentle, as the rebound adjuster can and will break very easily.  If it breaks, you'll need to take it to a suspension shop and have the shock stripped so that the adjuster can be replaced and needle unseized.

That's great feedback, thanks a ton! Will do what you suggested.

That's great feedback, thanks a ton! Will do what you suggested.

What I found out was the rebound adjuster was free, the internal rebound needle was not thus limiting the "clickables". What I also found out was you were dead right; the adjuster is delicate. Word to the wise- Don't even think about trying to free-up the internal shock needle tightening/loosening the adjuster, you will break it. Which i did. MY WP is now at Race Tech. Now that I know the root cause of my limited clicks, what causes the internal rebound needle to freeze up anyway?

Thanks All!