Difference

How fast do you ride?

What is the terrain like where you ride?

What is the budget for your next bike?

I ride average speed, slower in technical areas and open up the throttle in open areas. Terrain is mostly marsh, mud and rock (quad trails). Im saving money now and then hopefully selling my other bike so hopefully around 3000-3500

A 230 is about 2 inches bigger everywhere except for suspension travel. Two inches longer, taller and two inch larger wheels. Somehow the suspension travel only increases about a half inch.

We should also note the frame, gas tank, seat, rear fender, handlebars are exactly the same on both bikes.  In other words, the cockpit, save for the distance from seat to footpegs, is exactly the same.  All those parts are interchangeable, as is the exhaust and shock.

This is one of the nice things about the CRF150; It is a small bike but has a roomy cockpit for its size.

Edited by VortecCPI

• 3 weeks later...

We should also note the frame, gas tank, seat, rear fender, handlebars are exactly the same on both bikes. In other words, the cockpit, save for the distance from seat to footpegs, is exactly the same. All those parts are interchangeable, as is the exhaust and shock.

This is one of the nice things about the CRF150; It is a small bike but has a roomy cockpit for its size.

In other words, if I blow up my GF's 150f the engine can be swapped for a 230f without issue?

• 2 weeks later...

That's no good. The 150f shock was definitely inadequate. Is the best option a CRF250X or CRF230F with new shock?

Wow.  that's a tough question and you will get a myriad of opinions and responses.

If you ride very tight technical stuff and you like a small bike and simplicity of an air-cooled two-valve engine get a CRF230 with a Hagon shock and cartridge emulators or Bruce's damper rods.  If you are riding big, fast, open stuff the CRF250X is a much better choice.

The bottom line is they are two completely different machines that can serve very different purposes.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2

I like the idea of having a low maintenance bike. It just seems that you need to do some work right after purchasing (suspension).

That is definitely true but everything is very much known and there are several levels of cost.

Please provide your body weight and I will give you some scenarios and associated costs.