BIG guy, Big bike? RMZ450?

Hi all, I am new to this site, have seen a few posts that google brought me to.

I have been looking all over the internet for advice on this issue but cannot find any answers. Here is my question;

I am a larger guy (310LBS), I used to ride quads but no longer. I am looking at getting into dirt-bikes and I want something that will be able to handle the Sand Dunes in Southern California. (Very soft sand). Will a Suzuki RMZ 450 be able to ride the dunes with enough power to haul my big self up the dune as well? I looked at bigger bikes, but I really like Suzuki, and it seemed as though the others would be too much weight in the bike alone for the sand dunes. Just really worried about it because most people reviewing the 450 seem to be in the 175LB to 210LB range, and I don't want to pay that much for a new bike and it not be strong enough.

Thanks for your help in advance!

The weight range in the specs refer to the stock suspension set up for a 175 LB rider. As with any bike new or used if you don't fit the bikes stock weight range "175-180lb rider you need to have the suspension set up for your weight and riding level. At 310 you will need to have any new bike you buy set up for your weight. They will change springs (forks & back) for your weight dial in the clickers and maybe even do some valve work. Suspension set up is key to mastering the beast!

Will cost u in the range of 500-1000. After the bike is set up for your weight I think a 450 will be fine for you.

Hi all, I am new to this site, have seen a few posts that google brought me to.

I have been looking all over the internet for advice on this issue but cannot find any answers. Here is my question;

I am a larger guy (310LBS), I used to ride quads but no longer. I am looking at getting into dirt-bikes and I want something that will be able to handle the Sand Dunes in Southern California. (Very soft sand). Will a Suzuki RMZ 450 be able to ride the dunes with enough power to haul my big self up the dune as well? I looked at bigger bikes, but I really like Suzuki, and it seemed as though the others would be too much weight in the bike alone for the sand dunes. Just really worried about it because most people reviewing the 450 seem to be in the 175LB to 210LB range, and I don't want to pay that much for a new bike and it not be strong enough.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Definitely get the suspension done. But as for power, yes. A 450 will haul you around no problem. However just because your big, don't let that fool you into thinking it can't hurt you. Because even with that weight on it, she will rip your arms off if you aren't careful.

A 450 is more than enough. A 250F in the hands a skilled rider is too. Do not let the 'size matters' fallacy suck you in.

Riding on sand on a bike is much more difficult than a quad because you do not have the wide tires to 'float you over the surface'. You'll find it very easy to bury the front tire or dig a rut with the back (a reason a less powerful engine can be better). A bigger engine typically just means more top speed in the sand, nothing else. It is when riding in the dirt that a big engine gives you the ability to 'tractor out' of tough spots.

Get the suspension done. That is the key point for what ever bike you buy.

• Like 1