So my son is ready for his next bike. He's now on a TTR 125 and keeps talking about wanting the next bike. He also rides his brothers CRF150F witch actually fits him better since he's very tall for 12 at about 5'8". Don't know his weight but he's a tall drink of water thin! He says the 150F feels very close to his 125 and is bored with both. I also feel he is ready for the next bike or I would not be considering it yet. I think its time for him to get in a real MX bike now since we ride pretty much all MX.

I'm thinking CRF 150R or an 85 2 stroke. He's a novice level 12 year old rider, pretty conservative, not a big risk taker and rides at his own level. He rides the pit bike track & beginner tracks at out local track Milestone MX.

He thinks he wants a 2 stroke but has never ridden one. I lean to 150R.

Anybody willing to let a kid try out either one or both of these bikes at Milestone?

Any input?

If he's 5'8" he'll need a big wheel. An ,85 will be too small. We've had both, we liked the 150rb the best.

kx100 or ktm 105 if you want to stick to the 2 stroke and not step up to a 125

i would probably go with the 150r though like you are leaning towards

I have a kx100 he can try

My lady rides it and shes 5'3 and shes a complete begginer

Edited by socali-250

I have a kx100 he can try

My lady rides it and shes 5'3 and shes a complete begginer

Thanks for the offerer really nice of you. I'm planning to got to milestone Monday late afternoon and night, that is IF we are over the flu we both have. Do you rIde Milestone?

Couple things to consider. At 12 years old and 5'8" he probably is going to still growing quickly.

The ttr125 and crf150f are pretty much the same power wise but the crf has a bigger chassis.  The 85 and 150r are going to be in between those two with just a bunch more power.

I don't usually recommend "bikes to grow in to" but a 125 2-stroke is not that huge of a jump from an 85/150r but a much bigger chassis.  If he is too big for the TTR he will soon be too big for the 85/150r.

Also some bike weights

85 2 stroke 165#

150r    180#

125 2 stroke 205#

TTR125 195#

CRF150F 230#

Thanks for the offerer really nice of you. I'm planning to got to milestone Monday late afternoon and night, that is IF we are over the flu we both have. Do you rIde Milestone?

Never been to  track but have been looking for a reason to hit one. Elsinore is closer to me though..

Couple things to consider. At 12 years old and 5'8" he probably is going to still growing quickly.

The ttr125 and crf150f are pretty much the same power wise but the crf has a bigger chassis.  The 85 and 150r are going to be in between those two with just a bunch more power.

I don't usually recommend "bikes to grow in to" but a 125 2-stroke is not that huge of a jump from an 85/150r but a much bigger chassis.  If he is too big for the TTR he will soon be too big for the 85/150r.

Also some bike weights

85 2 stroke 165#

150r    180#

125 2 stroke 205#

TTR125 195#

CRF150F 230#

I agree. I was going to suggest a 125 also... I find it odd that you say 85 2t are 165lbs. Well my kx100 is only 156lbs and 15cc more... Im thinking 85s are in the 140s or 150s. 

Edit google shows rm85 @ 143lbs cr 85@ 144lbs kx85@ 143 lbs yz85@ 157lbs

Edited by socali-250

Also some bike weights

85 2 stroke 165#

150r    180#

125 2 stroke 205#

TTR125 195#

CRF150F 230#

Isn't a 125 2 stroke about the same power as a trail bike class 250F?

Your dead on with everything your saying about the bikes and he will probably continue to grow for sure. But my approach to my kids riding has always been not putting them in a bike they are really not ready for. As a rider I don't think he is ready for a 125 2 stroke. May be a better fit size wise but don't want to put in on a bike that will put him in his ass because he can't handle the power.

Never been to  track but have been looking for a reason to hit one. Elsinore is closer to me though..

If ur looking to hit a track for the first time either place is good. Milestone is open late till 9pm on Mondays and Fridays. Lights are only on the pit bike track witch is the track my son rides, vet track & the main track. We go after school.

Elsinore is a pretty limited schedule as far as hrs go, only open till 2pm wk days. I used to ride there all the time but now there not open after school. So since my son started riding the tracks with me we haven't ridden there in a long time. And I usually avoid week ends at any track at all cost, just to crowded.

But I would be willing to met you there on a week end for him to get his 1st chance on a 2 stroke to see if he likes it. Let me know if u plan on it for sure.

If ur looking to hit a track for the first time either place is good. Milestone is open late till 9pm on Mondays and Fridays. Lights are only on the pit bike track witch is the track my son rides, vet track & the main track. We go after school.

Elsinore is a pretty limited schedule as far as hrs go, only open till 2pm wk days. I used to ride there all the time but now there not open after school. So since my son started riding the tracks with me we haven't ridden there in a long time. And I usually avoid week ends at any track at all cost, just to crowded.

But I would be willing to met you there on a week end for him to get his 1st chance on a 2 stroke to see if he likes it. Let me know if u plan on it for sure.

Im down!

I agree. I was going to suggest a 125 also... I find it odd that you say 85 2t are 165lbs. Well my kx100 is only 156lbs and 15cc more... Im thinking 85s are in the 140s or 150s. 

Edit google shows rm85 @ 143lbs cr 85@ 144lbs kx85@ 143 lbs yz85@ 157lbs

I was estimating wet weights so I may be off a few pounds.  KX 100 is the same as an 85 with just a bit more displacement.  Wouldn't think the weight difference would be more than a few pounds.

Isn't a 125 2 stroke about the same power as a trail bike class 250F?

Your dead on with everything your saying about the bikes and he will probably continue to grow for sure. But my approach to my kids riding has always been not putting them in a bike they are really not ready for. As a rider I don't think he is ready for a 125 2 stroke. May be a better fit size wise but don't want to put in on a bike that will put him in his ass because he can't handle the power.

I agree if you don't think he is ready it would be a bad idea.  Just wanted to put it out there.  But the jump in power from the TTR to an 85 is much greater than 85 to 125.

I was estimating wet weights so I may be off a few pounds.  KX 100 is the same as an 85 with just a bit more displacement.  Wouldn't think the weight difference would be more than a few pounds.

its the same frame wheels and suspension?

its the same frame wheels and suspension?

Yes. An rm85l is taller than a kx100. The kx's sit a lot different than the yz's rm's and cr's. the wheel base is a little longer, and a shorter seat hight for the same wheel size.

I'm 5"8 and ride a 450, if he has good throttle and clutch control a 250-4t is a great bike he can grow into. Kx85 is a pit bike for someone that size, imo. Also a 2t has a very aggressive power-band/ different style of riding. .02c

Edited by Dexter42

Yes. An rm85l is taller than a kx100. The kx's sit a lot different than the yz's rm's and cr's. the wheel base is a little longer, and a shorter seat hight for the same wheel size.

Huh good to know. Thanks

I'm 5"8 and ride a 450, if he has good throttle and clutch control a 250-4t is a great bike he can grow into. Kx85 is a pit bike for someone that size, imo. Also a 2t has a very aggressive power-band/ different style of riding. .02c

I believe the kx100 has a power valve so the hit isnt that bad. Someone correct me if im wrong please. 

I do agree it will be too small for him. We will find out though....

Edited by socali-250

So for the heck of it I took a look at some YZ & CR 125s on Craig's list to get a feel for them. And ya he's defiantly not ready for that jump.

Is the frame on the CR the same as the big bikes? Can't be?