How much oil is left?

I found out my bike has been leaking oil from the countershaft seal. When I pulled the stock cover off the sprocket, I found the bolt was loose. How long, I don't know. Anyways, I pulled the last spacer that goes between the countershaft and the seal, and no oil came out. I am assuming that would not be normal. If I am correct, how low do you think it is, if nothing comes out with the bike level on a stand.

I was more concerned about where the oil level lies, than how much I actually have in there. Wondering if normally it would pour out when you pulled the notched tube spacer off the countershaft. If so, I'd know I'm probably pretty low, and may have been for a while.......or not, and that I'm likely fine. More of a piece of mind thing.

It's not the bolt that has thread issues, it's the case. With 675 hours, it's been removed many times. The engine drain is in similar shape. They both work fine, but just aren't 100% anymore, and I'd rather not use them until fluid changes are necessary.

I'll pull the other larger inspection cover, the threads on that are perfect.

I found out I was missing the o-ring that goes between the countershaft and the notched spacer. I actually have it here, but apparently it didn't get put in when I did all the engine seals.

Edited by yellowdatsun

It's not the bolt, it's the case. With 675 hours, it's been removed many times.

I'll pull the other larger inspection cover, the threads on that are perfect.

I found out I was missing the o-ring that goes between the countershaft and the notched spacer. I actually have it here, but apparently it didn't get put in when I did all the engine seals.

Woops! Glad you figured it out

For those curious, apparently you can still have the factory recommended 3/4 quart left in the tranny, while removing the counterstaft seals, and the bike on a level stand.

That's how much I had left, and just topped it off with that last 1/4 quart that most of us run.

• Like 1