Marzocchi Fork Swap

You can call me crazy, but I have a 2014 350RR Factory and the forks are way too stiff for me.  I have someone interested in trading me their stock Sachs forks off their 2015 300RR.  I know mine are worth a lot more, but what should I get to boot if I was to trade?

You can call me crazy, but I have a 2014 350RR Factory and the forks are way too stiff for me.  I have someone interested in trading me their stock Sachs forks off their 2015 300RR.  I know mine are worth a lot more, but what should I get to boot if I was to trade?

Before you do that you should try reducing the amount of oil in them and a few other minor changes.  I have been tuning them quite a bit recently and have a new setup I'm trying this weekend. Out of the box they are very generic and the factory only changes the springs in them for each bike they put them on.  The valving for 2 strokes is the same for 4 strokes.  Only difference is springs and amount of oil.  I have not given up on mine yet because I think they may have potential to be way better than how they come out of the factory.   

• Like 1

I'm not going to call you crazy, But no, if it was me I'd tweak with them.

You realize that in changing the forks you will have to change your triples.

No, I'd spend just a few bucks and have them setup correctly, for your resale, and IF you spend a couple of hundred bucks, you would be happy, call LTR......

The dealer called Beta and they seemed to think that by installing lighter springs and messing around with oil and oil levels wouldn't make that much difference?  I wondered about resale value and was thinking it was a dirt bike and dirt bikes don't have a lot of resale value anyway? I was just curious how much money to boot I could get if I traded forks?  When I bought it, we thought that it wouldn't make that much difference, but it does.

The dealer called Beta and they seemed to think that by installing lighter springs and messing around with oil and oil levels wouldn't make that much difference?  I wondered about resale value and was thinking it was a dirt bike and dirt bikes don't have a lot of resale value anyway? I was just curious how much money to boot I could get if I traded forks?  When I bought it, we thought that it wouldn't make that much difference, but it does.

I spoke with Les at LTR about those purdy red forks and the Beta Sachs forks, he told me that he has made a bunch of those red forks work real well good! Tell him what you want and you'll get it. Trust people THAT have hands on experience with them. They can be made cushy/smooth, just like the Sachs! But most forks need a little tweak here and there....

I'd spend a few hundred by someone that HAS opened up a lot of them and has a great reputation in the suspension world......

• Like 1

when i upgraded my 520 rs on byob, the delta was $1,700.

the trees will fit, i'm pretty sure. calipers may be different.

disk protector for the sachs will NOT fit the zokes.

i upgraded my springs as well, for my girth. they come

with 180 lb rider springs.... now, the fun starts....

harsh. back end has podium shock, and that was good....

and the forks i'm sure woulda been spot on at about 80 mph

going across the grain of the desert, or leaping stadium jumps.

talked to george at uptite, he said ride it more and loosen it up...

still too harsh. i'm old and slow. talked to dave in morongo valley,

he's been thru a few of the 'zokes.... he did a mid valve mod,

we stuck the 185 lb rider springs back in that came with the forks,

set the sag, set all the clickers to nominal, and i went to kennedy meadows.

about nine inches of travel front and rear, plush as can be. i haven't 

even bothered to adjust a clicker since then. 8 lbs front and rear on

tubliss, and just ride it.

i'd stay with the zokes and get them tweaked for your travel velocity.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to trade you a brand new set of Sachs and some cash for the Zokes. I've been inside a bunch of the PFP forks and have been able to unleash their potential, but I can tell you from riding the new Betas back to back with the Sachs and Marzocchis forks that the Sachs are light years better than in seasons past. If your riding regimen doesn't include a lot of high speed or high impact terrain you may be better off on the Sachs.

PM me and we can put a deal together for the swap ... and no you don't have to change triples.

• Like 2

Well just a little info

I'm in Australia, and today I brought the transmits dirt bike mag

As it had the showdown between Beta rr300, ktm300 exc and Sherri 300se-r

Ktm was hands down the most liked bike in every way, handling and surspension was the most stand out for the ktm compared to the Beta and the worst thing said about the Beta was the handling and surspension!!!

I brought a Beta 300 factory edition 2014 haven't seen it yet lol and won't get to ride it till next January

The Sachs and WP forks are virtually identical. The Sherco has WP forks on the front just like the KTM. I've ridden a number of Betas and dozens of KTMs and I disagree. The Sherco 300f I rode had been revalved by our local KTM fork guy and was brilliant.

I'd suggest your magazine suffers from the same problem virtually all of ours do, the advertiser with the most money has the best bikes.

Of the three bikes they reviewed I'd still take my '07 GasGas 300 over all of them for certain trails, it's that much better, especially because the frame is smaller than those with an engine that develops huge bottom end in comparison. That's the second major issue, after advertising dollars, these magazines suffer from. They can't test YOU on the trails YOU ride or in the style YOU ride.

The Beta you're getting has a Sachs rear sock which most tuners readily admit is quite good. It has a long history on the GasGas and many on that forum consider it superior to the Ohlins even after both have been revalved. The OC Sachs fork can be easily tuned by any tuner familiar with KTM's WP forks. The Zokes are even better for aggressive riders.

Personally I'd take any of the bikes. All of them perform vastly better than you likely can. Set it up for you and ride, the heck with the rags. 👍

PS: I own a Beta 300rr, the GasGas and just sent a KTM 300 down the road (I've had a number of them). The KTM had a staggering POS electric start (slightly better now-still wretched) that never worked. The GasGas has been a bit interesting working on since there isn't 2 bolts the same size on the whole bike (fixed on the new ones). So far the Beta hasn't needed anything and has worked very well. My only complaint is in the desert and on BIG hits the forks don't control well at the end of their travel, really no different than the Zokes on the GasGas. The OC forks on the 300exc would be the same.

• Like 1

The Sachs and WP forks are virtually identical. The Sherco has WP forks on the front just like the KTM. I've ridden a number of Betas and dozens of KTMs and I disagree. The Sherco 300f I rode had been revalved by our local KTM fork guy and was brilliant.I'd suggest your magazine suffers from the same problem virtually all of ours do, the advertiser with the most money has the best bikes.Of the three bikes they reviewed I'd still take my '07 GasGas 300 over all of them for certain trails, it's that much better, especially because the frame is smaller than those with an engine that develops huge bottom end in comparison. That's the second major issue, after advertising dollars, these magazines suffer from. They can't test YOU on the trails YOU ride or in the style YOU ride.The Beta you're getting has a Sachs rear sock which most tuners readily admit is quite good. It has a long history on the GasGas and many on that forum consider it superior to the Ohlins even after both have been revalved. The OC Sachs fork can be easily tuned by any tuner familiar with KTM's WP forks. The Zokes are even better for aggressive riders.Personally I'd take any of the bikes. All of them perform vastly better than you likely can. Set it up for you and ride, the heck with the rags. :thumbsup:PS: I own a Beta 300rr, the GasGas and just sent a KTM 300 down the road (I've had a number of them). The KTM had a staggering POS electric start (slightly better now-still wretched) that never worked. The GasGas has been a bit interesting working on since there isn't 2 bolts the same size on the whole bike (fixed on the new ones). So far the Beta hasn't needed anything and has worked very well. My only complaint is in the desert and on BIG hits the forks don't control well at the end of their travel, really no different than the Zokes on the GasGas. The OC forks on the 300exc would be the same.

Sherco uses the open cartridge WP forks which KTM stopped using after 2012. They are among the best forks ever made. The KTM closed cartridge bladder forks and air forks are terrible. Having experience with zokes I would guarantee once those 48's are revalved for you they will be great.

Sherco uses the open cartridge WP forks which KTM stopped using after 2012. They are among the best forks ever made. The KTM closed cartridge bladder forks and air forks are terrible. Having experience with zokes I would guarantee once those 48's are revalved for you they will be great.

KTM still uses the OC forks on the xcw and exc. The xc's and motocrossers no longer do.

The 4cs forks are dreadful.

• Like 1