Spark Arrestor

I just bought a 97xr4 and in the process of doin some maintenance prior to winter storage...I took apart the exhaust out of curiosity only to discover previous owner cut the spark arrestor screen out completely....where I ride I need this...I was thinking of buying an oem screen complete unit....if doing so will it affect performance of bike?...could I drill some hole s in baffle tube to compensate for screen material once replaced...not sure how to go about this? I need a apark arrestor for 2015 riding season also need db down too..Any suggestions?

I just bought a 97xr4 and in the process of doin some maintenance prior to winter storage...I took apart the exhaust out of curiosity only to discover previous owner cut the spark arrestor screen out completely....where I ride I need this...I was thinking of buying an oem screen complete unit....if doing so will it affect performance of bike?...could I drill some hole s in baffle tube to compensate for screen material once replaced...not sure how to go about this? I need a apark arrestor for 2015 riding season also need db down too..Any suggestions?

If anything it should make it run better. The 96-97 SA units are very free flowing. Loud but free flowing. Get a new unit so you don't start a bush fire!

Brand new one will look pretty and shiny like this.

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

If that's to loud, you can make an insert or use the 98 and newer one but they are crap for making power, even drilled out they are terrible. The bike will be quiet but also feel like a XR200.

Edited by michigan400

LOL!! OK, maybe not a XR200. I'm prone to hyperbole sometimes. :devil:

When I switched back and forth with mine the difference was very noticeable though. With my home made insert in the 96-97, the power feels the same but the noise was cut down dramatically.

I went from the 96-97 opening size of 1 3/8" diameter to 1 1/16" diameter and really like it. Right in the "Goldielocks zone",,, just right!!  👍

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0376_zps42c33745.jpg

Can't find an actual pic. I think it was on my old phone and I never uploaded to photobucket.

Made on a lathe from 1.5" aluminum rod. Dimensions are NOT exact, you must make it fit the actual pc. you have in regards to OD and length.

Can't I just take out my stock baffle out of the cut SA? I Wanted just swap out the cut screen for the new shimmy one like in pic above....if for some reason that didn't work I read you can use a vs bug exhaust pipe.

Yes you can do that. Mine is without the stock baffle but has the screen and I used a home made insert. Stock is to small IMO and without the baffle its a little to loud. So that was my solution.

so for your diagram my insert should match the length of stock. OK ...now what sound does this produce? My requirements have to be "Noise limit of 94 dbA or less with Spark arrestors"... also should I be concerned with jetting or carb adjustments after i do this?