TTR engine worth saving?

Hey everyone! I just bought a ttr 125 for pretty cheap. I am willing to put some money and a good amount of time into this bike to get it running again. 

However, I just pulled the top end and the crank shaft and connecting rod don't seem to look very good. Could yall help me determine if this engine/bike is worth saving? Again, I want a project bike, but I don't want to have to pour more money into the bike than its worth. 

Thanks 🙂

WP_20141106_20_26_47_Pro.jpg

Edited by chiles1993

$1,000 will buy a very low use TTR, in fact, an mildly used one can be had for $750-800 in my area. It's getting cold, Christmas is coming, the youth bikes will be over priced for the next month. However, when the credit card bills come in January, people will be looking to unload some stuff to raise some quick cash. That's when I like to buy bikes.

I know this is a TTR forum and I stop in here from time to time because we have a 225, which I like a lot. But truth be told, the DR-Z/KLX125 is a better machine for only a little more money.

What ever you do, good luck.,

$1,000 will buy a very low use TTR, in fact, an mildly used one can be had for $750-800 in my area. It's getting cold, Christmas is coming, the youth bikes will be over priced for the next month. However, when the credit card bills come in January, people will be looking to unload some stuff to raise some quick cash. That's when I like to buy bikes.

I know this is a TTR forum and I stop in here from time to time because we have a 225, which I like a lot. But truth be told, the DR-Z/KLX125 is a better machine for only a little more money.

What ever you do, good luck.,

what smacaroni meant to say is he would love to cast you new cases and a con rod

I would love to have the level of skill to cast a set of cases (and the machinery to line bore them and all that good stuff).

I bet I could cast the connecting rod and might even be able to machine it (since there's only one linear directional movement, I might be able to machine that with the right tooling), but my furnace isn't hot enough for iron, at least not yet - got a hair brained idea that may make it hot enough for that in the works.

I would love to have the level of skill to cast a set of cases (and the machinery to line bore them and all that good stuff).

I bet I could cast the connecting rod and might even be able to machine it (since there's only one linear directional movement, I might be able to machine that with the right tooling), but my furnace isn't hot enough for iron, at least not yet - got a hair brained idea that may make it hot enough for that in the works.

Back on topic, his cases seem fine, splitting the case and having a the crank rebuilt is certainly do-able, I'm not sure if he wants to put in that much effort. BUT... it is a great learning experience, at this point, it's practically the same process as a smoker.

I like RB-Designs.com. Ron Black is a great guy and has done some work for me in the past. He's relatively cheap and very fast. Just send him a postal money order as what ever bank he used didn't like the local money order I purchased. Postal money orders can be cashed at the post office if needed.

Edit: I don't know what TT is smoking linking "Ron" and "Black" to Ron Paul merchandise. I am refusing to take credit for that link. And it's not cause I have anything against Ron Paul, I'm just saying, don't click it and think you're going to someplace I endorse.

Edited by Smacaroni

you think you could pull off a con rod? It's cool but risky I doubt the tolerances on something like that are pretty tight, it seems it would be easier to mill a conrod than to cast one

you think you could pull off a con rod? It's cool but risky I doubt the tolerances on something like that are pretty tight, it seems it would be easier to mill a conrod than to cast one

I'd cast the connecting rod, then use my DIY X-Y table to mill it.

One of these days, I will own a milling machine. I know most people start with a lathe, but for my purposes, a mill what I need and more like the way I think, so I'm holding out on getting a nice used 1/2 century old mill from the US, England or some parts of Europe. Problem has been lately when I find them in decent condition and my price range, they're too freakin' big.

• Like 1