Knee Brace on the cheep(er)

Does anyone have good or bad reviews on the EVS AXIS SPORT knee brace? I'm looking for something that's decent in terms of fit, comfort, usage, quality and not going to break the bank. I'd like something just for my right knee that will give me some extra support (it's tough being old and broken). I'm currently just using a set of EVS knee guards and through rougher terrain my knee wants to give out. My type of riding is just trails but would like to try a desert scramble of some sort and know i'll need something more supportive before I attempt that.

evs_14_axi_spo_kne_bra-blk.jpg

Not sure how cheap you are looking for but I have the pod k300 they are about 500 and I like them much better than than the other brand I had before. The other brand was a little cheaper but its worth spending a little more money for some thing you like as oppose to some thing you hate and saved a couple dollars on especially for some thing you have strapped to your body. I think 500 is probably about the starting point for any half way decent pair of braces.

• Like 1

Not sure how cheap you are looking for but I have the pod k300 they are about 500 and I like them much better than than the other brand I had before. The other brand was a little cheaper but its worth spending a little more money for some thing you like as oppose to some thing you hate and saved a couple dollars on especially for some thing you have strapped to your body. I think 500 is probably about the starting point for any half way decent pair of braces.

Those look nice. They would be about the same price as the EVS if they sold them individually. What was the "other brand" you had and do you need to use a brace sock with them?

Edited by spaceboy

. I think they where evs rx8 lol. They were cheap like 350 for the pair they felt huge and clunky didn't really fit real well. I wear braces just as much for the mental factor. I had reconstruction on one of my knees and the evs braces didn't give me any more confidence than no brace at all. The pods feel much better they fit nice and snug and pretty much stay where there suppose to all day. If I plant my leg in a turn I feel more confident like the brace is absorbing some of the shock or impact. The evs braces didn't feel like they would do much if i really did take a good impact. Evs does make some higher end braces and maybe if I had got one of there higher end braces I would have liked them better. I did get the cheapest braces they made. I didn't really want to take a chance though so I tried some thing else and can say I'm satisfied with the pods for the price there not perfect the straps are wearing out after a year and some times a strap will come loose but over all they are much better well worth the extra 150 even if your on a tight budget. The evs braces you are looking at could be much better than the rx8 that's why I didn't want to bash evs in my first post. .

Edited by Mtrain730

Reading reviews on the pods, people either loved them or hated them. Most bad reviews complained about quality and them falling apart after only a couple rides. I looked at some of the lower end EVS braces and they do look lower end/get what you pay for. The axis sport seemed closer to the pro but used glass filled nylon instead of carbon for the upper and lower. A slight bit of flex which may end up being a little more comfortable after wearing for a few hours but that's only my speculation since I haven't worn any type of brace. Wish there were better moto shops around my area to be able to try this stuff on first.

• Like 1

What some people might be talking about is l the Velcro seems to pull away from the strap a little super glue will fix that I might try to get a extra set of straps over the winter I might not ride as much as some people but I have had no problems with the brace falling apart except for that slight issue with the strap. I can live with that especially since even at 500 there is much more expensive braces these seem solid and are comfortable when riding so I'm happy. I agree with you about being able to try stuff on. It sucks to roll the dice on stuff that your dropping a significant amount of money on.

• Like 1

I can't believe the lack of rider info/reviews on the interwebs for the axis sport brace. Seems they have been out for about 2 years now. Since its almost identical to their axis pro they seem like they would be a killer deal for braces comparing the two.:huh:

Edited by spaceboy

Troy Lee but my point was any knee brace is better than no knee brace.

I can't to this conclusion after doing a few technical rides with the brace.

I felt so secure.

I'm not justifying the cost go myself - I really don't feel comfortable riding without one anymore.

I do realize they're expensive, hence me suggesting to use at least a cheap one.

I think I may end up giving these (Axis Sport) a try. They are identical to the pro version other than the lack of carbon fiber for the upper and lower cuff. The cage and hinge are the same which is where the strength is. Even on the "cheep" (cost, not quality) they are a fair amount of coin to drop. The Pro version has good reviews so this should be almost identical for several hundred less. I think for the type of riding I do it would work. Certainly it will be better than just a guard which I have always used but after the last knee surgery where the Dr. cut my T-band, I have lost strength/stability in that knee and no amount of pt has been able to strengthen that area for me. Any brace is better than no brace and I think this will give me the stability back and be able to feel more balanced on the foot pegs when standing.

I'm expecting support in the twisting motion and from flexion. It should also help add a little support to the joint because there are lockouts to limit the forward extension of the knee joint. When this happens right now the joint snaps back and the knee will want to give out. I understand that the brace does not lift you up. 👍