DRZ SM first service

I have a new 2014 that is due for its first service at 600 miles. I am on the fence if I should do it my self or take it to the dealer. Will the warranty still be good if I do it myself? Also, I was going to clean the oil screen. Are the washers on the banjo bolt reusable?

Take it to the dealer if that's what you feel comfortable with, they'll do it for free, kinda hard to argue with that. Me personally, I am the ONLY person who will EVER touch my bike, only because I have the knowledge, the patience, and a true love for my bike, with which I will be damn sure my bike is getting only the best. Also, I would've under no circumstances waited 600 miles to do a service. The manual always gives you worst case scenario service intervals. I did mine at 20 miles after a proper hard break in, then at 200 miles, then every 1000 - 1200 miles for the life of the bike, using mineral oil for the first 1200 miles, then a good quality full synthetic.

The screen is not a general part of changing oil, you'd have to have a catastrophic failure to even have enough debri there to restrict oil flow. The shop will definitely not pull the screen if you take it in for the 600. I wouldn't worry about the screen.

The owners manual has a list of maintenance items and when they need to be done. There is also a list of nuts and bolts to tighten in the service manual. You can make copies of these pages and check off each item as you do it, and each bolt as you torque it. That, along with receipts for oil and any other stuff you need should be all you need to show that that the service was done. I bet most people just do an oil and filter change and call it good though. Loctite fixes are always a good idea.

Gene , a lot of dealers are very unreliable when they service your machine . If you have the ability , then I would do it myself . If not go to your dealer , but check there work . Doing the oil screen is a good idea as any new engine has to settle in as it were , and there could be some metal in there from this settling . The washers can be reused , but dont do it to often as they will flatten right out or even get to the point , that you have to cut them off , I would find out about if you would void your warranty by doing your own work . The warranty I got with my bike was only for 3 months and covered very little , so sometimes they are not worth the paper they are printed on , greg

Take it to the dealer if that's what you feel comfortable with, they'll do it for free, kinda hard to argue with that. Me personally, I am the ONLY person who will EVER touch my bike, only because I have the knowledge, the patience, and a true love for my bike, with which I will be damn sure my bike is getting only the best. Also, I would've under no circumstances waited 600 miles to do a service. The manual always gives you worst case scenario service intervals. I did mine at 20 miles after a proper hard break in, then at 200 miles, then every 1000 - 1200 miles for the life of the bike, using mineral oil for the first 1200 miles, then a good quality full synthetic.

I'm with you mate, I will never take the bike to the dealer for servicing, I will take it back for a warranty repair but just general servicing I will do myself. I always keep all oil and filter recepts and also fill out a log book on the date that the oil and filter were changed.

You should be able to get hold of the service list the dealer will work from to do the 1st service, if the knowhow and tools are not with you then its off to the dealer with your bike. 

I did the oil screen at 500kms and found it to be clean, I also use fresh crush washers in the oil drain bolts for every change but I have access to them from work for free so that helps,

Nothing like the feeling of doing the work your bikes and things yourself, at least you know its done right the 1st time.