Need some help finding new bike!

Hello, well today I am seeking some assistance in finding a new bike that will fit me good. I am 16, 186 LBS and about 6 foot. I currently only have a '09 CRF70 that I got back in '09 just for a starter. I have never rode clutch, but feel I can learn quite easily. I will mainly do trail riding and races with friends. I am looking for a bike that will fit me in size, but will have great speed and stay in my price range. I am okay with having the bike a little over sized, because I am still growing and want to have this bike for a while. These are a few bikes that I have found on Craigslist that I think fit what I am looking for. If you could help me figure out which would be best for what  I am looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. Remember, I'd love to have it go extremely fast and good pick up. (Or, if you happen to find a better bike that fits me near the Maryland area, feel free to link me to that.)

2003 Honda cr250r

2000 YZ 250 - MY TOP CHOICE RIGHT NOW, LOVE THIS BIKE.

2008 Honda crf250x

Since you've never balance a big bike or learned proper clutch/throttle control i would recommend a 125 2-stroke or 250f. At this point in the game a 250 2-stroke is just going to get you hurt (I know because i learned to ride on a cr250). When ridden proper a 125 is faster than most people realize....

For whats its worth i wouldn't buy any of the bikes you posted, they're all over priced and you should keep looking for a better deal. The yz and rm look okay but the two honda's are covered in stickers. Most of the time when a bike is covered in stickers its been owned by a goon. They ride the shit out of the bike and poorly maintained it. 

Edited by The_Vernsker

Alright, so I am looking into getting a pretty nice bike but I have actually never rode clutch in my life. I have seen how to do it and I feel like I could learn quite easily but I have been hearing things that if I buy a 2 stroke I won't be able to ride that thing due to it needing to be in the correct gear and have perfect clutch precision. Now, I want something that I won't grow out of and also that I can modify in the years to come. So, what would you suggest a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke? My top picks for the bikes would be a YZ250 2-stroke (My favorite god damn bike right now.) Or, a CRF450r 4-stroke. I am not sure of which would be better for me. If this is needed, here is my information.

Weight: ~190

Height: 5-11/6-0

Experience: Only had a '09 CRF 70 (no clutch)

Terrain: Going to mostly ride in open field, friends back yard track and some trail riding (Not super intense trails)

Mechanical: I am not very mechanically sound, can't even really change a tire. No one in my family/friends are able to do much either.

A smart guy would buy a Honda XR or Yamaha TTR or Suzuki DRZ, 125/250. Buy it used, ride it bone stock for a year, learn to ride well. Then go from there.

After a year, you'll seel the bike with little loss (assuming you take care of it) and then if you need a monster MX bike with 10X the power of the CRF70, then go for it.

Nah, I am a fast learner and I don't have the money to buy a new bike in a year or two. So, I want to go the biggest and the baddest.

Not very smart. Do you mind if I take insurance out on you?

You should just buy a Hayabusa and rip with flip flops on.

• Like 1

I think you may be the one that comes to TT for advice but doesn't like what you hear, inspite of the VAST experience of most TT members.  I would reconsider my approach to this whole thing if I were you.

I've taken almost all advice given, so I'd reconsider my approach if I were you. Like I stated, at this point in my financials I cannot afford to lose a couple hundred dollars with buying a TTR. I'd rather make the investment that will last me more than enough years to get my money out of the bike. 

I've taken almost all advice given, so I'd reconsider my approach if I were you. Like I stated, at this point in my financials I cannot afford to lose a couple hundred dollars with buying a TTR. I'd rather make the investment that will last me more than enough years to get my money out of the bike. 

You are actually making a finacial mistake. A race MX bike requires much more maintenace (read money). You are going to be learning on it. That (in crashes) will cost you money. Looking at a dirt bike as an investment is foolish.

You buy a used one or two year old trail bike, learn on it, then sell it for close to what you bought it for. Then get more bike if you need it. That is what a smart new rider does. You do not buy size 26 shoes for a little kid, assuming he will grow into them.

• Like 2

Alright, so my question is what 2015 450f would you recommend buying? My current pick is the 2015 Yamaha YZ450F, but I haven't done enough research on what consumers pick to be the best model this year. Also, if you have time I'd also like to know what 2015 250 2-stroke you would recommend. Of course, my top pick right now is the YZ250.

I've ridden both the 2015 YZF450 and YZ 250 at a recent demo and they are both really good bikes. The YZF 450 feels like what I imagine a rocket ship feeling like. I don't think you'd be disappointed in any current 450 though. They all make pretty good power.

The only real competition for the YZ 250 is the KTM 250 SX since all the other brands bailed on two strokes. Yes there are other brands but they are not that prevalent. Husky is back in the fray but they are pretty much a KTM. I haven't ridden either the KTM or Husky but I've been wanting to try a 250sx for a while. Hopefully someday.

Even though the YZ hasn't been changed much over the last several years it is still a really solid quality bike and a ton of fun to ride. I really liked the handling on the one I rode. Resale value seems to stay pretty high on them too. I've been keeping my eye on the local Craig's list waiting on a deal and the prices stay pretty high relative to the other 2 stroke brands on the used market.

CB3232....given your size, lack of experience and desire for trail riding, I would say you could possibly try a WR250F or CRF250X, but the 450 MX bikes (and 250 2 stroke MX bikes you are talking about are wickedly powerful and fast (YZ450F, KX450F, RMZ450, CRF450R, KTM 450SX).  This is why William and others are encouraging you to step up to a milder trail bike like TT-R230 or CRF230F or the older Honda XR's.  My son who is about your size started on CRF150F and moved to WR250F after gaining some experience.  He can ride my WR450F on easy stuff, but when the going gets tough, the 250F is plenty of bike for him.

Honestly, I know it can be difficult to shop for a used bike, but the CRF230F, or even the WR250F, and CRF250X will typically not be abused and raced like the MX bikes.  A new MX bike will lose about 40% of retail price in 3 years.  If you make the wrong choice, it could be very expensive just on the depreciation hit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...