We all have that one race.

So we all have that one race or ride that really bonds you to your bike, or that makes you say "this POS is going on craigslist"
share your stories, good bad or funny.

mine was on my RM250 that i'm currently riding, and just happened not too long ago,
riding the silver dollar shoot out in geneseo illinois and half way through the second lap (40mile loops) i start hearing piston slap and can feel the chassis is becoming upset. my legs fully cramped not wanting to push a bike out of some of the toughest conditions ive seen for a while, makes it back to the truck load it up and on the way home the shock blows completely out and the forks do the same. i've never thanked a bike so much in my life or laughed my ass off!

My KTM back in 99, drive 4 hours pay entry fee and full tank of gas for the truck. Made it about a mile bike stop running. Kicked till i was so tired i couldn't stand. Came within a nat's hair of just leaving it out in the woods. Come to find out the stator went out.

aw god i hate that kind of stuff, happened to a friend of mine, drove across the state for his flywheel weight to come off and tear up everything.

Had a street bike that I didn't know had a problem with the fuel pump (it always stayed over 1/2 full until, that day)

Went for a nice long ride into bum fuzzed egypt...and found out I ran out of fuel supply at around 1/2 tank. (Carbs sit higher than bottom of tank)

The vacuum line had dry rotted and got hard...and broke off an inch short of the vacuum source.

So I had to stop, suck and blow on that vacuum line (Face an inch from hot cylinder jugs) to fill the bowls, ride 2.3 miles...rinse and repeat for the next three hours or so...at least I did figure out within about 5 miles how far I could go before it died (and nearly refused to start again)

At least it was only 98 degrees & 2000% humidity..fak

Turns out, that lil test gave me the courage to go on more ADV style rides & long trips, and not worry about things going wrong.

• Like 3

My story wasn't my bike. I bought a moto lift that mounts to the trailer hitch the kind with a jack. Forgot what they are called. Anyway loaded up and drove 7 hours to race. When I got here the keeper bolt bent and would not come out. I couldn't lower the lift. I knew I could get the bike off but not sure I could get it back on. Being as I did not know anyone there I was afraid to unload so I went home. 14 hours driving for nothing. Returned that pos.

Edited by motojunkiedan

My story wasn't my bike. I bought a moto lift that mounts to the trailer hitch the kind with a jack. Forgot what they are called. Anyway loaded up and drove 7 hours to race. When I got here the keeper bolt bent and would not come out. I couldn't lower the lift. I knew I could get the bike off but not sure I could get it back on. Being as I did not know anyone there I was afraid to unload so I went home. 14 hours driving for nothing. Returned that pos.

Wow! I'm sure you could have found SOMEONE to help you. No way I'd just leave.

• Like 2

Just got back into dirt biking a year ago. Bought a 06 KTM 450sx. Was out trail riding at West Creek and was about 15 miles from the truck when my engine blew (coolant, oil and parts everywhere). My buddy went back for my truck and I waited trail side with the bike. I decided to start pushing the bike so my buddy didn't have as far to go. Pushing a dirt bike up hill isnt fun but once I got up the hill I could coast quit a ways until the next phycically demanding hill climb. I started making sound effects and engine noises to keep the bordem and anger at bay. It was only entertaining after the incident as we watched the video. Imagine being out in the middle of nowhere, coasting a dead bike down trails and making sounds (thump, vrooom, braaaap, ect). I even did some goon riding like kicking my foot out over rocks and standing on the seat. I verbally assaulted everything as it was just me, my broken down ride and miles of forest. The video was epic! ?

• Like 2

I hear ya but it was one of my first races back in 04 and I didn't know that you could count on someone helping you. I have been racing 10 years now and no way would I leave now. Always meet cool people at the races now but then I just didn't know what to expect.

Was thinking the same thing myself. If your fellow racers are so hateful they wouldn't pitch in to help, you need to find a new racing association.

I race with a group called OCCRA, and I challenge anyone to find a friendlier bunch of people. They are all the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met....but nobody is making their living at our races, it's just a hobby...biggest payout is only $250

• Like 2

Just got back into dirt biking a year ago. Bought a 06 KTM 450sx. Was out trail riding at West Creek and was about 15 miles from the truck when my engine blew (coolant, oil and parts everywhere). My buddy went back for my truck and I waited trail side with the bike. I decided to start pushing the bike so my buddy didn't have as far to go. Pushing a dirt bike up hill isnt fun but once I got up the hill I could coast quit a ways until the next phycically demanding hill climb. I started making sound effects and engine noises to keep the bordem and anger at bay. It was only entertaining after the incident as we watched the video. Imagine being out in the middle of nowhere, coasting a dead bike down trails and making sounds (thump, vrooom, braaaap, ect). I even did some goon riding like kicking my foot out over rocks and standing on the seat. I verbally assaulted everything as it was just me, my broken down ride and miles of forest. The video was epic! ?

? I'd pay money to watch that vid!
  • Like 2