Hill attempt failure once again

Sorry for the teaser guys. I have been trying this hill since 1996. I'm talking to my buddy in this video about the hill. I have tried it on a XR 600, XR 650R, Kawasaki KFX700 quad, KTM 300, and now my Beta. Please note that it's very off camber. Right after the slot is a 20' cliff into a rock gully. The video does no justice to the difficulty of this hill. I'm embarrassed to say I need to hit the gym. Sucking gas on just 2 failed attempts is not good. I only had to flip the bike over and lift it a half dozen times or so. I'm only 53 years old and it sucks not having good cardio!

I should have the video of my actual attempt in a few days. I already know it's the Rekluse clutch thats holding me back. I have developed bad habits over the years and have lost the ability to clutch properly. IMO for hard core hill climbs the Rekluse is a worthless paperweight. Not to mention I'm not that good of a rider as it is.

I completely trashed my Beta on this climb yesterday. Bent shifter, tweaked radiators and fan, Carb floats or needle valve stuck and gouged up bike. Next week I'm going to tune out the Rekluse to a manual clutch so I can practice clutching on the hill climbs. I'm determined to make it before I die! It's on my bucket list.

Edited by ballisticexchris
  • Like 2

I'm laughing so hard right now!! Thanks!!

Good job, looks like a mother!

I did one yesterday in North Sequoia at about the same degree of difficulty, while it kicked all of our asses, I cant say the Rekluse is junk for climbing. I think just the opposite, it allows me to focus on throttle control and weighting the pegs. I think they are magic!

• Like 1

I'm laughing so hard right now!! Thanks!!

Good job, looks like a mother!

I did one yesterday in North Sequoia at about the same degree of difficulty, while it kicked all of our asses, I cant say the Rekluse is junk for climbing. I think just the opposite, it allows me to focus on throttle control and weighting the pegs. I think they are magic!

For this kind of hill the Rekluse just will not work for me. Careful clutch modulation and gear selection to keep from looping it out. I figured everyone would get a good laugh from me repeating myself!!

Ouch! That looks like a killer of a hill. Did anyone make it? With such varying traction, and knowing that loose deep sand can slow you down and throw your steering every which way...

Look forward in seeing and hearing the video.

More balls than me!

No one has ever made it this way as far as I know. Looks like some have made it down from the quad trail you can't see. Almost everyone turns around at the bottom of the slot. If you make it to the top of the slot then you hit the nasty off camber with a less than 24" wide section to ride on. All my buddies parked and walked up. I made it farther than anyone in our group but paid for it with a trashed bike.

It's so steep at the slot that your rear wheel comes off the ground when using the front brake to slow going downhill. I was so spent that I bulldogged it down by the foot paddling technique.

Why didnt you just modulate your clutch? Mine acts just the same as without the Rekluse. My setup may be different than yours but I can easily switch between the two modes. Wish I knew how mine was setup but it was done at BYOB by Browns in Paso and I think they nailed it.

You know they setup mine also, and as well believe they nailed it. While I've set the free-play once, that's it.

I've used mine just like a regular clutch a lot lately, and works flawlessly. Yet 1 minute later it works as the super automatic that it basically is with no squeak or chatter....