Sign in to follow this  

2012 400 RR fork oil grade and level

I'm looking for some info on how the forks on a 2012 400 RR would be setup stock.

The previous owner messed with it a lot, and despite returning to stock settings as found in the manual, I do not know if he had put heavier oil/more oil in and I have the feeling he may have put stiffer springs in.

Currently the back of the bike rides lower in the rear than I like, even after bumping the preload quite a bit, and it feels like the fork isn't settling. I tend to need to pull myself forward on the bike a lot which tires me out, and also it's hard to get the front wheel to rail without pushing.

A very experienced friend rode it this weekend and made the same observation.

I'm gonna dump the oil and put in the stock level of the stock grade and take it from there, so if anyone knows what these numbers are, that would be great.

Thanks,

Nellis

I found a more complete manual on betamotor.com (as opposed to the one I got on betausa.com) and found the follwing:

“Sachs” hydraulic upside-down fork (Ø48 mm shafts)
Fork oil capacity: 
spring ............................................................................................ K 4,8
quantity ......................................................................................... 510 g
oil level .......................................................................................150 mm
oil type ................................................................................ FUCHS 1091 

My humblest apologies

Standard SAE rating is 2.5W but since actual viscosity varies between brands, I would choose a 'heavy' SAE 2.5 or a 'thin' SAE 5.

And increase oil level around 130mm....... if stock springs are used.

Standard SAE rating is 2.5W but since actual viscosity varies between brands, I would choose a 'heavy' SAE 2.5 or a 'thin' SAE 5.

And increase oil level around 130mm....... if stock springs are used.

Thanks for that!

The manual says 510grams,surely it would have been a ton more useful if they gave me a measurement in ml/cc and mm.

Do I really need to know the mass index of my oil and convert it?

Here's a chart comparing brands by viscosity:

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Probably not scientific, but better then nothing.

What oil are you using Nellisvan?

I've read that people use Motorex 5W and BetaUSA recommends Motul 5W.

I prefer motul where ever I can, though beta recommending motul and ktm recommending motorex is only a publicity agreement. Motul is good stuff, should we start a fork oil thread? Kidding kidding!

Thanks for that!

The manual says 510grams,surely it would have been a ton more useful if they gave me a measurement in ml/cc and mm.

Do I really need to know the mass index of my oil and convert it?

No, no its not mass index but viscosity.

If you prefer Motul, check the table that Balkan boy posted and choose one around 17-18cSt (ie. Factory line or Expert light) and then measure quantity in terms of air chamber from the top not actual oil volume.

This way you ensure that you have the same amount in both legs.

• Like 1

IMHO

My favorite is RaceTech 5wt oil in my 2014 Sachs forks, slippery sh*t!

+ Me too! IMO, it's the best fork/shock fluid out there. Very slippery. It's pretty much all I have used in the last 15 years.

150!!??

He has the Sachs, might be different than the marzo's

Im showing 610cc and 90mm for the Marzo's

Edited by Mckay
  • Like 1

He has the Sachs, might be different than the marzo's

Im showing 610cc and 90mm for the Marzo's

Thanks, that sounds more like it. I'm running 100-110mm in my 45's. I still think 150mm is too little oil even in 48's. Of course every rider is different in the way they setup their bike.

Edited by ballisticexchris