Front tire for max miles on s model

Any of the dual sport tires yield decent front mileage, but if you want a pure street tire. About the only one who makes one is AVON in a 21 inch that Id considered installing on an s model(performance wise). I haven't checked in a few years.

I've got a 1000 miles on a set of Shinko 705's.  All onroad miles.  Haven't had them in the dirt yet.  They look brand new.  I haven't had any issues with them.  

$57 including shipping from Motorcycle Superstore online.

$110 for a set and free shipping.

Edited by GavMac78

The stock trailwings are great on road IMO, long lasting too.

drz8.jpg

The sticker has held up nearly 8500 miles already and probably has another 500 to go, so I'm certainly not disappointed in it, just curious to see what yields the most miles for the cost. If I could get a 40 dollar tire to go 5000 or a 90 dollar tire to go 7 or 8, id probably just go with the 40 dollar one.

I've got a 1000 miles on a set of Shinko 705's. All onroad miles. Haven't had them in the dirt yet. They look brand new. I haven't had any issues with them.

$57 including shipping from Motorcycle Superstore online.

$110 for a set and free shipping.

Those look pretty nice for my purposes, I see some reviews say that they experienced chunking of the rear tire after not too many miles, any issues? I think my rear is a 712, and it's holding up pretty well, over 1000 miles and not too much wear for the miles, so I'm on board with shinko and a decent cheap tire so far

Those look pretty nice for my purposes, I see some reviews say that they experienced chunking of the rear tire after not too many miles, any issues? I think my rear is a 712, and it's holding up pretty well, over 1000 miles and not too much wear for the miles, so I'm on board with shinko and a decent cheap tire so far

No issues to report.  I also read the "chunking" reviews.  I couldn't beat the price for a tire that was going to be almost exclusively for pavement riding.  (So far 100% pavement.)  If I thought I was going to be offroading more, I would have gone with something else.  I also didn't want to spend a fortune or changing over to SM rims and tires.  These are a nice compromise.  I personally don't feel that they lack anything for my commuting needs.

No issues to report. I also read the "chunking" reviews. I couldn't beat the price for a tire that was going to be almost exclusively for pavement riding. (So far 100% pavement.) If I thought I was going to be offroading more, I would have gone with something else. I also didn't want to spend a fortune or changing over to SM rims and tires. These are a nice compromise. I personally don't feel that they lack anything for my commuting needs.

Ordered the front this morning, keep us updated on if you have any issues, I'll be looking for a new rear in probably 3000 miles
  • Like 1

A 21 inch will float over stuff a 17 will fall right into, unless you racing go cart tracks, you wont have to much issues with 21/18's street tires.

I ran dual sport tires till about 20,000 miles and switched to full streets and never looked back. You can still trail ride with them they arent much worse than trailwings in the dirt.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Looking for the best miles-price ratio for a front tire for on road use on my s model. Lots of highway riding, no off-roading right now. Thanks all!

battleax bt45, it should get you at least 12,000 miles, more if you're easy on the brakes. 

I always liked the trailwings.  Good life and decent traction.

Just to point out the size of the contact patch of a motorcycle tire.  Given that is all that's between me and disaster I am willing to spend a little more for better quality.  It's like helmets it doesn't matter till you need it.

+1 for the Shinko 705s for STREET use. I have about a million miles on a set. Well, maybe 3 seasons. Should get one more out of the front and 2 out of the back. No chunking. Front is wearing faster than the back, but I do 100% front braking 100% of the time. These would prolly be death on a track. Pretty slick in my opinion. I've drifted them many times on my commute to work. Took them off road once and had my worst crash on this bike. Bruised a couple of ribs and scratched my brand new helmet! Not dirt friendly in my opinion. I have a set of 700s for that.

Edited by Filipe

I got 11,000 miles out of a Shinko 700 on the front of my XL.  700's are more dirt oriented than 705's which I prefer, but still phenominal mileage compared to others I have run, 606, mt21, t63, k270, 244's all of which varied from 2000-5000 miles on the same bike.