Enduro Psychology Suggestions

Greetings to all from Colombia. This weekend I had an amazing enduro ride with my friends. However, I was very disappointed because I had to face deep downhills with slippery mud. I noticed that my friends rode down the hills easily with no trouble at all. On the contrary, I was very slow, concentrating all the effort on the brakes (not good in muddy conditions) and very afraid of the slippery hills. I am aware that part of it comes with practice but probably some sports psychology may help. Could anyone recommend me a good source (book, webpage, etc) for sports psychology that may help me to overcome this fear? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

JP

I ride with a guy that is so fast on downhills that I am constantly amazed (he is crap on uphills though so I guess that balances us out). Anyway his understanding is that the faster you go the more stable the bike and I counter that it's harder to slow down to which he says to trust your brakes.  Yeah right.  So I started going just a little bit faster on downhills by letting the bike roll more and staying off the brakes longer, but I was always aiming for the flattest, straight section where I could hammer the brakes if necessary.  The thing is not only did my downhill speed improve but the control of the bike that comes with it makes it much safer.  The difference between your downhill speed JP and your friends is bike control, confidence and technique and yes all those things come with practice and repetition.

Go and find a hill that is as hard as you normally ride and practice on it to the point where you are going faster than you usually do.  Then find a slightly harder hill and work on that. Take a full day practicing and then do it all again a few days later.  Won't take long and you'll be as good as them.