advice repairing my front shocks on 2012 500 xcw

Hello everyone,

I'm  in need of hints, tips, advice on replacing my front seals on my shock  as one of them is blown.  

should I replace just the main seal and the dust seal? or should I go for the whole repair kit that

ktm sells?   pros and cons.  also should I repair both of them? ( only 1 one is blown) .  

what should I look for when repairing it?

any comment will be appreciated.

best regards to all

ride safe...

Jack

As said, replace seals and bushings. Dust seals might not need replacing. All Balls offers a kit that uses SFS seals (the best). Not hard to do, just messy. Will need a seal driver and thin 22mm wrench. An oil level syringe makes it easy to adjust level.  5wt fork oil, 110mm to 140mm air space. Youtube for how-to videos. 

To prevent happening,  is first determine if the forks are parallel. It is quite common to pull the fork legs together at the bottom when replacing the front wheel. The owner's manual shows how to reset the legs so they are back in alignment. 

Edited by Betarocker

• TT Sponsor

Fork seals are wear items, they will eventually need to be replaced no matter what you do. But you can extend the service life by avoiding mud, don't allow mud or water to dry on the fork tubes, and use some light grease under the dust wipers. As mentioned above, if the forks aren't aligned properly then that can accelerate wear on the bushings, and really worn bushings can cause a leak. Keep the tubes clean, after you wash your bike dry the tubes with a towel so no water spots form. Also check the tubes for nicks; a sharp edge from a nick will cause a leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackpunisher you don't' sound very familiar with dirt bikes, which is not meant to be an insult. Just wanted to give you a little info and warn you that fork seal jobs are take practice and special tools so you might consider paying shop to do it. Ok now about the fork seals. They don't actually "blow" even though dirt bike magazines use that term. Some people even think you can blow them by tying the bike down to hard. Also false. "Failure" is a better term because they usually get scored by dirt or a burr on the fork leg/shaft (the chrome part). When bushings wear out, the leg loses alignment and that causes the seal to distort like an oval. Ovaling of the seal MIGHT be possible by tying the bike down to far but that would surprise me. A 2012 should not already have worn bushings, but they should be inspected and if there is visual wear you can replace them. Bushings usually wear due to contaminated fork oil, and that should be replaced if you don't know if your 2012 has ever had clean fork oil. But usually just the seal itself needs replaced and the dust/mud seals can be cleaned. Once repaired, check your fork leg for a scratch that could cause a burr. If so then the bur can be cleaned up carefully with emory cloth and high grit sandpaper but they're never quite the same. They could continue to seep in that spot even if the seal is good. good luck and sorry for writing a book here