Sky Ranch Rd 11/8/2014

Went up with a customer and he showed me the Sky Ranch Rd area. After about 8 miles we parked and unloaded. Me Xr250 him Suzuki 250 2st quad. We found a couple marked green trails and warmed up . Then took a road across a creek and he bogged out in the creek. Pushed him out , wrang out his air filter and we were off. I made it no prob, went nice and slow. It was my first water crossing and I am getting more comfortable with my bike. Only started riding two years ago , about 6 trips total so far.

Found a couple more nice trails and ended up on a huge granite clearing.Found some patches of now on our way up to cold Springs Meadow and turned back. Rode thru some campsites, took a wrong turn that took us to Beasore Rd. It was paved so it dodnt look like we could ride it with green stickers. Turned back and found the truck.

Went up a road and found a nice spot to target shoot the Glocks then had a cool down brew and headed home.

I have only ridden Miami and Whisky Falls. This was a neat area. Next time I want to do Shuteye and some of the stuff in that area, Iron Lakes ect. Looks like I will have to drive my truck all the way up Beasore before Im legal to ride.

Now that I have a baby, Im limited to day rides for the most part. Looks like a cool spot to camp though.

FFF

• Like 1

I have recently purchased property in the O'Neals North Fork area and went out this last Sat for a "Fun Ride" with the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest. We took Rd 632 off of 41 and staged about 4 miles or so in. We did a 40 mile loop that was fantastic. The SOTSNF promoted this as suitable for quads and side by side for novice to intermediate riders. Just what my new to forest riding buddy and I were looking for; an intro to the riding available in the area. It was about 85% forest service roads and 15% wide "single track".  And it was awesome! This was the 2nd ride I have done with the club and I was not disappointed with either. They really know the area and are more than willing to share. They are also very active in trail management/maintenance. They actively lobby for the continued use of the forest for all forms of off road activities. A great bunch of folks in some of the most beautiful riding area of Central Cal. 

Moon Rock  about 4 miles in from staging. That's me and the Mighty 23020141115_103533_zps6857bcba.jpg

Chris and some of the approximately 25 4 wheelers dismount to take in the panoramic views from Moon Rock

20141115_103800_zpsef459401.jpg

The 2 wheel contingency at Bass Lake Vista

20141115_105500_zps485aa866.jpg

One of several water crossings... this one just before Texas Flat

20141115_113129_zps763ad3d8.jpg

Fresno Dome in and out of the clouds and some of the 4 wheelers 

20141115_140940_zps62a7a643.jpg

Lunch break at Texas Flat

20141115_114126_zps0d73f1e6.jpg

A smattering of snow in the higher elevations 

20141115_141036_zpsa2d0f0c1.jpg

Cant wait to get back out and do some more exploring and add a little beginner single track stuff. 

• Like 1

That, Kenny, was our first ride with the SOTNF. In spite of the fact that we got lost early on Day 1 (which I will attribute to our minimal experience with a roll chart) and had prior commitments for Day 2 we thoroughly enjoyed that ride as well. That was our Baptism into the area and our want to learn more. I have ridden some areas of NorCals Georgetown and Stoneyford which people describe as Single Track Eden but find this area of the Sierras every bit as attractive for off road use. And, according to the Ranger who appeared on our stop at Little Sandy campground, was/is a lot less crowded than Miami to the North. We do have F.S. maps of the area and it all looks very inviting. We are looking forward to further exploration.

ST O.D.  

• Like 1

Fresnofishfan I ride from Whiskey Falls in North fork up to the Shuteye Peak fire lookout all the time. Its an awesome ride and Shuteye has a great view. Rode the Brewer Lake ohv route last weekend and it was packed with snow so I imagine shuteye would be as well right now. The girlfriend and I have been doing a lot of mellow riding just to explore and what not lately since she is still new. We tend to be free on sundays if you want to checkout shuteye once the snow clears.

Do any of you guys know of any groups that get get together and ride? Id love to get involved in something like that where a group of people get together for day rides.

I have recently purchased property in the O'Neals North Fork area and went out this last Sat for a "Fun Ride" with the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest. We took Rd 632 off of 41 and staged about 4 miles or so in. We did a 40 mile loop that was fantastic. The SOTSNF promoted this as suitable for quads and side by side for novice to intermediate riders. Just what my new to forest riding buddy and I were looking for; an intro to the riding available in the area. It was about 85% forest service roads and 15% wide "single track". And it was awesome! This was the 2nd ride I have done with the club and I was not disappointed with either. They really know the area and are more than willing to share. They are also very active in trail management/maintenance. They actively lobby for the continued use of the forest for all forms of off road activities. A great bunch of folks in some of the most beautiful riding area of Central Cal.

Moon Rock about 4 miles in from staging. That's me and the Mighty 23020141115_103533_zps6857bcba.jpg

Chris and some of the approximately 25 4 wheelers dismount to take in the panoramic views from Moon Rock

20141115_103800_zpsef459401.jpg

The 2 wheel contingency at Bass Lake Vista

20141115_105500_zps485aa866.jpg

One of several water crossings... this one just before Texas Flat

20141115_113129_zps763ad3d8.jpg

Fresno Dome in and out of the clouds and some of the 4 wheelers

20141115_140940_zps62a7a643.jpg

Lunch break at Texas Flat

20141115_114126_zps0d73f1e6.jpg

A smattering of snow in the higher elevations

20141115_141036_zpsa2d0f0c1.jpg

Cant wait to get back out and do some more exploring and add a little beginner single track stuff.

That looks like an awesome time!! Ive ridden that area a little. From the Big Sandy campground up to the Iron Lakes, but thats about it. How did you get in contact with the club you were roding with? I would like to explore with a group that could show me new spots.

Sactownolddude-That is the exact area I was in . That creek is where my buddie bogged out, we stopped on Moon rock! Im a lowly green sticker so I have to keep it on the dirt.  Looks like a nice DS ride though

bti.morilla- Id love for you to show me that ride. With the new baby, Im pretty much a day rider myself. Sundays are good for me too.

Moto.jpg

Moto2.jpg

Dec 13... Another one scheduled  by the SOTSNF  Green stickers are fine the only time I needed the plate was to bypass the last leg cause I had a chain guide chain derailment issue. All the planned ride was forest service rds not requiring anything more than current OHV reg.  AND yes we did encounter a Ranger.

ST O.D.