metallic bang if clutch fully engaged.

I'm feeling sick about this. Just bought it used. 2014 with 800 miles. Went for a couple of rides and it ran great.

Then I took off the performace muffler and header and put the stock back on. Started, ran about a mile then an grinding sound (like ball bearings rattling around in a can. Then wham, a metallic bang and it stalled. After playing with it a bit I found I could run it with the clutch feathered about half-way. This held true for the first three gears...didn't try others.

So i rode it home (about 1 mile) feathering the clutch in 3rd gear. If i engaged the clutch a little more I got a rhythmic soft banging and I backed off. 

I'm am no mechanic but it seems unlikely that a change in exhaust pipes would cause this. Yet that's the only thing I changed. (I think)

If I have a major repair bill coming up I'll be pissed. I usually like to buy toys new just to avoid this kind of thing.

PleasE tell me there's a simple solution.  ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

I thought that I might have dropped a bolt or nut where it shouldn't. But I can account for all the hardware.

Edited by Name9

obviously some thing to do with the clutch

did any of the previous owners work on this bike or have any issues?

first thing,,, drain out some oil and look for debris

look for wrench marks on the side cover

you should pull the cover and take a look see

I guessing loose pressure plate springs

or the hub center nut

Edited by Ducky Dog

obviously some thing to do with the clutch

did any of the previous owners work on this bike or have any issues?

first thing,,, drain out some oil and look for debris

look for wrench marks on the side cover

you should pull the cover and take a look see

I guessing loose pressure plate springs

Old issues or work done were never mentioned. I'll look for tool marks. What you say makes sense and I would like to look at it myself. Learn something. But time will not allow. So before I waste anyone's time here I'm going to have to break the piggy bank and bring it to a shop! :/

Don't be stupid. The risk was mine . People buy used stuff all the time it works just fine. And in the big scheme of things it's really not all that big a deal I'm just being a little dramatic.

Funny you should ask about neutral. I spend some time at the end of my ride trying to get it into neutral and I couldn't.

Honda motorcycle warranty: One year: Transferable, Unlimited Mileage Limited Warranty.

Now just find out when the bike was originaly purchased from the first buyer.

You may be able to call Honda or have the dealer check with Honda as to when it was first purchased.

Edited by oldguy68
  • Like 1