Sign in to follow this  

roost guards with rib support

Hey Ladies,

After breaking a rib this year, then injuring it again, I'm looking for an upgrade to my roost guard. I have a thor, which fits 'the girls' pretty well, but is like a front and back shell.  No side protection. 

I'm looking at the leatt 5.5 or the alpinestar a-8.  Those are the only two protectors of any style I've seen that look like they have rib protection.

Has anyone tried one?  I was able to try on the leatt, but I wasn't happy with the fit.  Maybe if I spend some time adjusting it, but it seemed pretty tight on top.

Any other suggestions?  The stella bionic looks nice, but it looks like it doesn't have any rib protection either. 

I don't have one locally, but it looked like there was front rib protection, but not wrap around support on the TLD? 

Both times I've landed hard on my back/side.  I think my pack is pushing on my roost guard.  The ribs in question are on my back and right on the line of the roost guard.  So I would like some protection that prevents me from 'squishing' on a hard fall.  

Has anyone worn these?

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow of my wife wearing it to give you an idea of how it looks on the body...

Did you modify it at all for the "girls"? Interested in one for my wife as well. I wouldn't consider the Leatt CP as good as the TLD. My son's Leatt started to fall apart on his 2nd ride. I had to call and get replacement hardware sent out to put it back together, their customer service was great. Thank god he didn't loose any of the plastic panels that fell off. I then proceeded to use blue Loc-Tight on all the fasteners....should have been done at the factory.

Here are a couple pictures of my (dirty) 5955...

Front;

WP_20141111_001.jpg

The rib protection wrap all the way to the back, giving full coverage of your ribs.

Back;

WP_20141111_002.jpg

The back articulates nicely, keeping your movement very fluid. I do have a couple panels removed for neck brace integration....which works well. Although removing the hardware was a task in itself! I also lost my owners manual, E-Mailed TLD and have one on the way...again, there CS is good as well!

Lol, my wife is like small B cup so there isn't much to modify around...

Um....my wife is a T bra size.....still when I push on the chest, for her it is a bit painful.

Are you racing the Winter Series at Straddleline this year?

Um....my wife is a T bra size.....still when I push on the chest, for her it is a bit painful.

Are you racing the Winter Series at Straddleline this year?

I've missed the first 2 rounds so I'm out for the Overall Championship. I've just had small little injuries that don't slow me down but are continually nagging so I want to get better. I should be down for the next rounds and will bump myself from Vet A back into Open A...

• Like 1

::::::::::::THREAD JACK:::::::::::::

You going to be there on [the next race] Saturday? I'd love to meet you!

Edited by 6 Riders

Yes..

Sweet.....I'll be there with a bunch of yahoos on KDXs, and a nice kid on a crf 70....In a big blue, old school, GMC van!

:::::::::::END THREAD JACK:::::::::::

Spiraling, +1 on the Troy Lee... i tried a bunch of brands on at two different stores the past couple months, and really liked how the TLD fit and wrapped around my rib cage. I didn't end up buying it (this month anyway) 'cause it's spendy, but it might end up in my Christmas stocking (hint hint family). Men's CPs fit me ok, so I won't worry about modifying, but if that's an issue for you, try one on and see if it's something you can heat/warp or ??

Good luck.

Thanks dblracer,

trying the TLD on is difficult since I don't have a local dealer.  I may order one from rockymountain since they have a good return policy. 

That's why I was hoping one of you fuller sized ladies might have one? anyone?