Help! My hands are COLD!

Hey guys! Winter is coming, along with the cold. Late autumn weather is already making my hands go numb, especially at night, and that's WITH three pairs of gloves (two liners and thick leather winter gloves). This is my first year EVER with a street legal motorcycle. I got a brand new 2014 drz400sm in late June of this year, been riding almost every day since (just turned over 7000 miles), and I don't plan on stopping now on the count of a little cold weather. That being said, this is my first winter with my bike. I have pretty much all areas covered as far as warmth...except for my hands. I have Acerbis rally pro hand guards, but those just do not offer much wind protection. Im trying to devise a way to somehow extend the wind protection of my hand guards, something cheap, easy, and effective, but also not horribly unattractive. I just got finished trying to fabricate something out of sheet metal, but it went absolutely horribly, I wont go into details, but it was bad. Im usually fairly good at making things like this, but this just has me stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe some pictures or recommendations of what you do to keep wind off your hands? I've seen something called Knuckle Warmers online which looked cool but was $100, little pricey.

• Like 1

grip warmers?

I'm starting to have the same problem, but I'm only using one pair of regular old leather gloves. I am planing on getting Cycra pro-bend hand guards and was hoping they would eliminate or greatly reduce the cold hand problem.

They dont, not even my southern California cold. Let alone real cold.

led some lights to save power, hid headlight maybe an put some heated grips, or gloves on.

i have handguards, gauntlets and the freeze out gloves from cycle gear and my hands still get cold. i'd like either heated grips (which might not do much more than heat my palms) or those things ron posted. im riding a supermoto, i obviously dont care how they look but i take my hands off a lot and it would be weird to put my hand back inside a hole so i can stop...

BLKRAWB, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

They dont, not even my southern California cold. Let alone real cold.

led some lights to save power, hid headlight maybe an put some heated grips, or gloves on.

Hmm, so i have a 35w hid headlight, LED turn signals front and rear, are you saying that combination saves enough power to spare for some heated grips? I was under the impression that, to run heating accessories, you had to have an upgraded stator.

BLKRAWB, on 10 Nov 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

What does the ignition draw is big ??

Not sure to be honest. I've never put my bikes electrical system to the test. But I would be very interested to know if it could handle heated grips, that'd be nice.

150ron, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

Ive seen these things,  hippo hands

Honda_PCX_125d.jpg

They do the job it looks like,  too bad its ugly as shite.

Me hands got so cold before i had me Zeta hand guards,  that every once in a while,   i would stop and put me hands against the engine block    :D    

There are indeed ugly, and like jawknee said, i would hate to have to put my hand back through that hole after scratching my nose every 5 minutes, but i DO need something like that. Like i said, the Knuckle Warmers brand looks very promising and convenient, and they can make custom sizes, but they are $100, if i don't find a solution and fast, i might be forced to pay that
  • Like 1

BLKRAWB, on 10 Nov 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

Anybody stuff chemical hand warmers in there gloves, jackets helmets and boots like I do? They're dirt cheap, albeit uncomfortable

Thought about that, but its my fingers im worried about the most, cant really get the hand warmers down to your fingers.

Thought about that, but its my fingers im worried about the most, cant really get the hand warmers down to your fingers.

Gortex hunting glove/mitten combos help that. I throw one in the mitten cup when I ride up to the radio peaks.

Heated grips. Simple. I've been running the for nearly 14 years. My DRZ has neither burned up or down fallen into a space vortex nor defied physics.

There is half a dozen types which really ends up being 3. Any will work. The cycle gear set up works just make sure you pre wrap the left grip as an aluminum bar will suck all the heat.

It's actually good for the DRZ all the excess power gets turned to heat where you need it, not where you don't (stator).

• Like 3

Heated grips. Simple. I've been running the for nearly 14 years. My DRZ has neither burned up or down fallen into a space vortex nor defied physics.

There is half a dozen types which really ends up being 3. Any will work. The cycle gear set up works just make sure you pre wrap the left grip as an aluminum bar will suck all the heat.

It's actually good for the DRZ all the excess power gets turned to heat where you need it, not where you don't (stator).

Do you know of any that work with hand guards? Ones with open end holes?

I'm planning to run my gerbing heated jacket liner and heated glove liners on the DRZ.  (If the stator will support it!)

I installed heated grips on my Buell Ulysses, because it was easy to tap into the stock accessory plug with the factory connectors, add a switch housing from the XT model that has the heated grip switch, and the installation looks like stock.

But when I realized I would have to install heated grips on all the bikes to continue to be comfortable in the winter, I decided that heated gloves liners would be the way to go.  I have an adapter for the Gerbing so that it plugs into the battery tender cable on all my bikes, so all I have to do is plug in before a ride and adjust the thermostats.

The gloves draw 27 watts, and the liner draws 77 watts... so I think I'm probably going to be in trouble with the electrical on the DRZ.  I'm planning to upgrade the lighting soon, and I've already installed LED's in the rear and will be upgrading the front to LED's soon.  I'm not sure if I can run the heat all the time, so I may end up having to turn the heat off unless really needed, or just run the gloves and add another layer on the jacket.