Possibly getting a ts185 for free?

A guy I work with is looking to get rid of a ts185. He says it's been sitting for 10 years, so I'm guessing it's going to need the usual carb clean and tank flush at least. I'm looking to get it fix it ride it for a little and sell it what's the going rate for a used one? He says it's an 86 but I see they didn't make one then but maybe I misheard him. One more question is this a dual sport model or just dirt? Thanks in advance

They were considered a DS....kind of.  Depending on the year, a "dual sport" just meant it came with trials type tires.  As DS bikes improved in general, they became a little more capable in the off-road area, especially with their suspension.   I have an '80 TS250 and I really enjoy riding it.  Mine already had some suspension upgrades since the first years of the TS line.  Angled shocks and better forks made this a decent off-road play bike.  Having said all that, I'd never turn down a FREE bike.   You might have to do some investigation with the VIN to figure out the year.  It would be nice if the engine still turned over and not locked up with rust.  Then the whole project would get instantly a couple hundred bucks more expensive.  As for value when you get done...Good question.  A pristine one could approach 1K but I don't think you're going to be in that territory.   Take a look at CL in your area to get a price range.

Yeah I asked him to check to see if it was locked up and get back to me. supposedly he found it on the side of the road when he was a kid and rebuilt it, rode it, and it's been sitting for 10 years because he lost interest...There is a couple for sale one that's been sitting and he's asking $500 and one that needs some electrical and he's asking $900

I would 

Yeah I asked him to check to see if it was locked up and get back to me. supposedly he found it on the side of the road when he was a kid and rebuilt it, rode it, and it's been sitting for 10 years because he lost interest...There is a couple for sale one that's been sitting and he's asking $500 and one that needs some electrical and he's asking $900

I would get it anyway. Even if it doesent turn over you can still get some money for parting it out.

wouldn't be surprised if the crank seals need replacing ,

with it being stood for so long they are bound to have gone hard and and be no longer sealing ,

whilst you're at it may as well fit new crank bearings ,

old aircooled 2 strokes are so simple to work on you could get done in a day

I've bought quite a few OEM parts for my '80 from Partzilla.  They are pretty good about stocking little tid-bits.  So, OP if you're going to buy OEM parts, check with Partzilla instead of the dozen or so outlets that SAY they are OEM sources but only handle the big sellers.  With them, if you look up that small stuff, it will say "obsolete" when in reality, that just means THEY don't handle them, not that they're obsolete from the manufacturer.

wouldn't be surprised if the crank seals need replacing ,

with it being stood for so long they are bound to have gone hard and and be no longer sealing ,

whilst you're at it may as well fit new crank bearings ,

old aircooled 2 strokes are so simple to work on you could get done in a day

I have has 50/50 sucess on the old 2 smokes and crank seals.  Probably more like 70/30. Most need a new top end. If you do have to get into it and split the cases the screws will be the biggest bitch.  The TS185 in teh early seventies came in two configurations. TS and TC and are often confused. The TC has a much lower transmission ratio.  Nice thing about old TS series, 1972 and on CDI ignition, know as "Suzuki PEI" pointless electronic ignition. Big selling point back in the day.

Edited by Motosprtman
  • Like 1