Chest Protector Question

Hey all!

Need a new chest protector. Before I get ripped a new one, I KNOW the major purpose is for roost protection, not crash protection.  That being said, I had a crash where I broke 4 vertebrae, my scapula, 2 ribs, punctured a lung, and broke my clavicle.  According to docs, a good back protector could have at least protected the worse of the vertebrae fractures.

At this point, ANY amount of protection is going to give me some peace of mind. I have been looking at the options out there but would love some insight.  I am really looking at the Leatt Pro Chest Protector but am not 100% sold.  The key for me is the EN 1621-2 level 2 rating.  I would also love to have some shoulder protection as I ride in tight woods/brush a lot and have some nice bruises on my shoulders right now from Sunday. 🙂

Hey all!

Need a new chest protector. Before I get ripped a new one, I KNOW the major purpose is for roost protection, not crash protection.  That being said, I had a crash where I broke 4 vertebrae, my scapula, 2 ribs, punctured a lung, and broke my clavicle.  According to docs, a good back protector could have at least protected the worse of the vertebrae fractures.

At this point, ANY amount of protection is going to give me some peace of mind. I have been looking at the options out there but would love some insight.  I am really looking at the Leatt Pro Chest Protector but am not 100% sold.  The key for me is the EN 1621-2 level 2 rating.  I would also love to have some shoulder protection as I ride in tight woods/brush a lot and have some nice bruises on my shoulders right now from Sunday. 🙂

I think it's a complete load of crap that a chest protector is only roost protection.  Where I ride I could easily fall on sharp sapling stumps chewed off by beavers, or jagged edged rocks, broken branch ends protruding from trees, heck...even a handlebar end for that matter. 

A chest protector is essential equipment if you ask me...  There's lots of great options out there, likely can't go wrong with most.  Just be sure whatever you go with is reasonably compatible with neck brace if you choose to wear one 👍

I had a crash where I broke 4 vertebrae, my scapula, 2 ribs, punctured a lung, and broke my clavicle.  According to docs, a good back protector could have at least protected the worse of the vertebrae fractures.

That will hurt again in 30 years or so.

How did you crash? Any video?

Unfortunately, no.  Funny enough, that crash is what made me decide to get a "real" job with health insurance and landed me as #11 at GoPro...where I definitely would have had video. Haha.

Essentially I was downhill mountain biking, hit a jump with too much speed, popped up the rear end, over-cleared it by about 4 feet to flat, landed on my front wheel, and launched upside down into a tree at about 30 mph (according to my buddy who was following me with a trail comp).

Fantastic stuff, thank you so much!

I busted ribs 3 times in various crashes  (not cracked -  broke,  like in 2 pieces!) .  

MotoinMoab boys piece helped me decide on the motovest.  essentially a kevlar enforced bull riders vest.  thing has saved my ribs , collar bone etc several times, and has the skuffs to prove it.  Great product for what i considered a reasonable price.  adapted to it pretty quickly, dont really notice it now!

I've been enjoying my TLD 5955. I only bought it because the dealer I was "browsing" in sold it to me for $100....I couldn't pass it up. Ended up being one of the best pieces of gear I own. I have even crash tested it lately and it was pain free (except my pride). Easy to move in, not overwhelmingly hot, I've ridden with it in temps up to 90°. I was given a neck brace as a gift and it integrated very nicely. It can be worn under jersey if you like, that's how I used it before adding the neck brace.

I bought my son the $129 Leatt and it is not even close to as nice, of course there is a $70 price difference too.

I've been enjoying my TLD 5955. I only bought it because the dealer I was "browsing" in sold it to me for $100....I couldn't pass it up. Ended up being one of the best pieces of gear I own. I have even crash tested it lately and it was pain free (except my pride). Easy to move in, not overwhelmingly hot, I've ridden with it in temps up to 90°. I was given a neck brace as a gift and it integrated very nicely. It can be worn under jersey if you like, that's how I used it before adding the neck brace.

I bought my son the $129 Leatt and it is not even close to as nice, of course there is a $70 price difference too.

+ 1....I have the same one,has good padding underneath and covers your ribs better than others,also wont sit up high like others.

It is very simple... Anything you can put between you and stuff that wants to hit, impale, or ruin you is good. I have had stuff shot at me( yes I'm slow as molasses!) the size of golf balls and it only hurt my pride. My boy has eaten shiz hard more than a few times.. Knock on wood ... We walk away unscathed. Yes, buy a chest protector and wear it..

• Like 1