Cam cover help

What would make it not work?

The cams could not be aligned properly. They could bind, seize and cause the cam chain to skip, thereby causing a valve to hit the piston, bending the rod, making it destroy the cases. That is worse case.

Or you could fix it correctly.

If you have a head with damaged cam holders, Engine Dynamics (chyeck Google) might be able to fix it. If not, you might be able to provide them with holders from another bike and they could install and line bore them. Compare that to a new head from APE or Big Bore Thumpers.

Yeah. I figure if I have the part a machine shop could probably match it to the head possibly

Not just a machine shop, but one with line boring experience. The head needs to be dis-assembled, cleaned, replacement caps installed, bored, honed and clearances checked. Then all re-assembled (might as well have the valves done, you are almost there already). Unless it is a special head, it usually costs close to the same to replace the head with new.

i'm not recommending it.... BUT....

My buddy's 04 had a similar issue ....

we got them off EBAY and sent the head and new caps to http://www.mt-llc.com/(I'm 99% sure it was them because that's all he really uses)

And he's easily got 60+ hours on them since ...

Like I said, I wouldn't do it .... but  it apparently can be done :D

I have an 09 so it's the 1 piece that holds it. What would it require to match the holder to the head? Just so I can tell the machine shop what to do

Then you have it at the wrong shop if they dont know what to do.

As mentioned its a precision job and they need the cams to line up everything, also the clearance between the cams and the holder has to be within the specs in the manual.   

• Like 1

Then you have it at the wrong shop if they dont know what to do.

As mentioned its a precision job and they need the cams to line up everything, also the clearance between the cams and the holder has to be within the specs in the manual.

Agree with Shawn ...

Drop off parts tell them the "issue" they should know what to do, otherwise you need a new machinist.

• 1 month later...