Blown up beta!

I have a friend who just scattered his 2010 beta 520rs, I need a head, crank, valves, cams ect. Where is the best place to order these parts? Do any of the ktm parts cross over? I tried the search feature but couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks

Matt

First Beta I have heard of blowing up, but there are always circumstances.  Nothing lasts forever.

• Like 1

I have a friend who just scattered his 2010 beta 520rs, I need a head, crank, valves, cams ect. Where is the best place to order these parts? Do any of the ktm parts cross over? I tried the search feature but couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks

Matt

First one I've heard of blowing up too. Any details you can share? Trail riding or racing? Mileage? Hours? Well maintained? Etc.

• Like 1

Thanks

Matt

I foresee a complete part out in the future. We're talking a seriously expensive repair bill here. There  are no aftermarket no internals  available as far as I'm aware of and that bike being a 010 in a running state its worth how much?.Good luck all the same.I'd be looking for a kx 500 engine myself.

Edited by widebear

Just a piston and rings kit, gaskets and a head tear down is right around $950. I know first hand, his is not the first. Would like to hear more on the mileage, what failed and overall condition. If it's a low hour bike it's worth a rebuild. Otherwise a part-out maybe be cheaper better way to go.

Just a piston and rings kit, gaskets and a head tear down is right around $950. I know first hand, his is not the first. Would like to hear more on the mileage, what failed and overall condition. If it's a low hour bike it's worth a rebuild. Otherwise a part-out maybe be cheaper better way to go.

How many others do you know about first hand? Can you elaborate on the details regarding the one(s) that you are referring to?

Yes, it's was mine and if you PM me I will give you my dealer's number to call for more info. Was it a complete blown motor, no I repaired it before it did. I talked to three other that had the same issues I had. One sold the bike and the other two went silent. Stillwell has rebuilt several with the same issues I had,,, from what I was told.

Yes, it's was mine and if you PM me I will give you my dealer's number to call for more info. Was it a complete blown motor, no I repaired it before it did. I talked to three other that had the same issues I had. One sold the bike and the other two went silent. Stillwell has rebuilt several with the same issues I had,,, from what I was told.

So if it wasn't a complete blown motor what was the problem? I'm sure there are many people following this thread that would be very interested in knowing about any potential major problems. (myself included.)

It is funny that the OP has not responded back at all.

If anyone has had a major engine issue it would  be nice if they were to share it with the rest of us rather than leave us guessing. I am sure that somebody has calved a motor or two but have any been because a part failure?

Thanks

• Like 1

Being the inter web. You can never tell whats real and whats bs, what is sincere and what is not. Over at ktm talk some guy  with, you know  connections claimed that Graham Jarvis used only std suspension.When I asked what defined std I received of course  no response apart from the gullible koolaid drinkers whole heartily took that standard claim to be gospel and have now taken to lovingly fondling those 4cs as if  they  were some modern day form of  neolithic  totem.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 4

Being the inter web. You can never tell whats real and whats bs, what is sincere and what is not. Over at ktm talk some guy  with, you know  connections claimed that Graham Jarvis used only std suspension.When I asked what defined std I received of course  no response apart from the gullible koolaid drinkers whole heartily took that standard claim to be gospel and have now taken to lovingly fondling those 4cs as if  they  were some modern day form of  neolithic  totem.

Kind of reminds me of all those guys jumping on the "smartcarb" bandwagon. Come to find out it's nothing more than a complicated paperweight! LOL

So if it wasn't a complete blown motor what was the problem? I'm sure there are many people following this thread that would be very interested in knowing about any potential major problems. (myself included.)

First I will say with all my research into my issues I haven't found any wide spread motor problems with Betas. My 2013 350rr re smoked on start up from new. This was just a little smoke and after 4-5 throttle burst it was all clear. After 5 hrs I talked to AB and my dealer, both said the motor needed more break in time before any judgment. Both also said "first I ever heard a Beta motor issue" which is funny since my dealer only sold 1 4t at the time. At 12 hrs the smoking was still there and talked to AB and my dealer. AB never responded and my dealer wanted more break-in time. By the 20hrs mark it would smoke a minute or two into the ride before clearing up. By 30hrs the smoke was as bad as a 2t and by 40hrs I would use 1/4 of the motor oil. At 60hrs I would burn thru ALL the oil in an hour or two of riding. Thru the time my dealer was updated on the issue. His thoughts were overfilled oil, fall overs, leak or just not measuring oil correctly at changes. Finally I dropped it off for him to deal with after an oil change. He confirmed oil usages and started the teardown. The oil ring was 75% stuck as well as 1/2 of the compression. The valve train was perfect and no indication of any dust or other issues. Valves were still in or very close to spec. Oil changes were around 5 hrs since new because 1 hr after change the oil was black. Was it a blown motor, no but it needed a teardown otherwise the motor would have locked up. I replaced the piston and rings, measured all valve train parts and reassembled. After 45 minutes on the phone between the dealer and AB, AB thru me a gift of warranting the gasket kit and labor to install kit. Before it is said "out of warranty" it wasn't for the first 20hrs of the issue that no one wanted to deal with.

One thing I discovered is when a issue does come up the owner takes care of it or the dealer. Not much if any goes back to AB for their files. When my dealer ordered my parts there were no questions or interest into why, how many hrs, nothing. I requested my dealer to talk directly to AB about this which he wasn't going to do. This is the same thing I heard from Stillwell, they have repaired several 350's for the same thing and never giving feedback to AB. All was handled thru the service department. They also believe this is normal for the 350's motor. Maybe this is why Beta changed the 350's internal parts in 2014+ years. In either case it's not normal.

Lastly just because "I never heard of this" doesn't mean it hasn't happen. Is it a wide spread concern, no however it seems the 350 has more chance of this than other sizes. Many on here don't like this or even believe it, talk to my dealer. As I told my dealer these bikes are mechanical and will/can break. It is the lack support that is concerning and the mentality of "it's not the bike" is the icing on the cake. Could things have been different??  maybe. For me the issue is closed and the new owner will have a great bike better then new with all my upgrades.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

Mathew prolly rides orange and is just stirring the pot, he's tired of so many guys making the switch from orange to Beta due to the insane maintanence on the orange bikes. That is the biggest reason ole Roost is going Beta also, I want to just ride my bike and not have to be working on it all the time, unless your a good mechanic it cost a small fortune to pay someone to keep your pumpkin rollin...Roost

I almost blew up my 08 Beta  470..  LOL..    yep had  80 hours on the big bore..  finished the last race and it was knocking pretty bad..     I pulled it apart you could twist the rod back and forth.  the lower bearing was about to let go..

I was lucky and caught the problem before it cost me more money.   any brand bike can and do blow up.   if not.. no one is riding it hard enough....

I'd spend the money and fix the bike..  I tried parting out mine and it was a PITA..  seemed all people wanted was wheels and plastic.  I ended up selling as a project with my other Beta.. guy got it running and sold the bike.  not sure if he made any money or just broke even.

I think this will be the main reason for the comeback of the 2-T, much cheaper to maintain. I watched the Red Bull Signature series in Romania on tv a couple Saturdays ago, wow what an insane race, I've never seen one of those races, but it was 99.9% two strokes, bunch of Beta's, Husky's and KTM's, hardly any Jap bikes, why no thumpers ?? While we're on the subject there's something else I have been curious about, not being a big mx guy, why is it in motocross you can ride a 450 4T in the 250 class, it seems to me like the 250 class should be all 250's, why does the 4T get such a huge displacement advantage. What would happen if you made the playing field even and they were all 250's, I had a bud in Miami that had a YZ250F or whatever the full race one is and when I put my 250lbs on it it killed it, bike was a slug, my KX 250 would smoke it...Roost

• Like 1