KTM mapping

I have a 2014 500 xcw, mostly stock . I have the performance map with the three position ignition mapping switch activated. I have also tweaked the tps from .58 to .64. I'm wondering if the xcw map and the euro map that I keep hearing about are the same or not. The KTM dealer said they can't put a euro map on a 2014 they could on 13. They said they could do the performance map but it only activates the ignition map switch feature. So I did it and it did help. Now I'm reading all these posts about 14s and 15 exc models getting the euro map or xcw map. Are they the same or do I need to find a dealer that will do a euro map?

The xcw map is fine, tweak your TPS.

The Euro map is in fact expecting an O2 sensor but if it doesn't detect one then it operates on a fallback open loop map based on preprogrammed parameters, just like the US maps. As far as I know the ignition timing is virtually identical, it's just fueling. Advancing the TPS slightly will essentially duplicate it.

The Euro map is in fact expecting an O2 sensor but if it doesn't detect one then it operates on a fallback open loop map based on preprogrammed parameters, just like the US maps. As far as I know the ignition timing is virtually identical, it's just fueling. Advancing the TPS slightly will essentially duplicate it.

alright cool I have already advanced the tps from .58 to .64 and wow what a difference. I just want my bike to run the best I can get it!

Why would anyone need a Euro map if they can duplicate by adjusting the TPS? .. is that what I just read?

The euro map lets you use the 3-position map switch i believe. Id like to know if the map switch actually makes a noticable difference or not....

The euro map lets you use the 3-position map switch i believe. Id like to know if the map switch actually makes a noticable difference or not....

I have the switch option turned on yes there is a noticeable difference. It only does ignition timing by advancing or retarding the timing. it has nothing to do with fuel. I do not believe this is the euro map. I tweaked my tps from .58 to.64 volts giving it more fuel and it maid another noticeable difference. I am still wondering about the euro fuel map.

^^^ This what I'm referring to...

If the EU map and US map ignition timing is essentially identical, then why have an EU map installed? .. It appears from the above quote, the main difference is "fueling" which can be adjusted via TPS. If you can achieve the same results, why go through the trouble and expense of installing an EU map?

Also is anyone monitoring AF ratio?

Edited by C6 DNA

• TT Sponsor

Adjusting the TPS changes how far the computer thinks the throttle is open. To over simplify a bit, the end result of turning up the voltage is that you get a little more fuel at every throttle opening. This is especially helpful on the exc models because in the USA the exc models are super lean to make the EPA happy.

Adjusting the TPS makes a blanket change, where changing the map can make more targeted changes. For example, changing the map would allow you to give it more fuel at 1/4 throttle and less at wide open, etc.. Timing can also be affected similarly.

I'm not sure what all the exact differences are between the euro map and the exc or xcw map, but my guess is the euro map delivers more fuel than the exc map, and is probably not too drastically different from the xcw map.

Good info... I search for a WB AFR meter for bikes and found one made by Koso North America. I haven't seen anyone mention the use of one before or after modifying the factory settings.

ttp://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/air-fuelratio-motorcycle_gauges/wideband-airfuel-ratio-meter-7/

Thoughts?

Edited by C6 DNA

• 3 weeks later...

Good info... I search for a WB AFR meter for bikes and found one made by Koso North America. I haven't seen anyone mention the use of one before or after modifying the factory settings.

ttp://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/air-fuelratio-motorcycle_gauges/wideband-airfuel-ratio-meter-7/

Thoughts?

That's by far and away the best if you have access to a dyno.

I created a pipe extension so i may read my afr, from my Ti pipe. I also will use innovate LM-2, for i get to also read RPM and TPS so when i tune i see the exact location of the issues...Will be askin my dealer if he would be so kind as to unlock my ecu for UST tuning...

Bought the map switch have it set to zero and WOW, it really transformed my bike...

That's by far and away the best if you have access to a dyno.

I was thinking more along the lines of monitoring AF ratio while riding. This meter doesn't data log, but it has a Lean / Rich programmable setting and warns you when reaching that preset threshold. This will allow you to see if the TPS is set too high and running rich throughout the rpm range.

In essence you can dial in the TPS and utilize this AF ratio meter to monitor results.

I was thinking more along the lines of monitoring AF ratio while riding. This meter doesn't data log, but it has a Lean / Rich programmable setting and warns you when reaching that preset threshold. This will allow you to see if the TPS is set too high and running rich throughout the rpm range.

In essence you can dial in the TPS and utilize this AF ratio meter to monitor results.

Very easily done on a dyno. I would think it would be difficult to do riding unless you were on the road or had data logging software. A/F meters don't instantly react either.