Wooden dirt bike loading ramp plans

Can someone tell me how to build a loading ramp for my dirt bike out of wood? I have searched everywhere but can't find anything on how to build one.

I have some money and all the tools to buy the supplies and build a wooden dirt bike loading ramp but I don't have $100 to buy a metal one.

Pictures of the steps would be best. Thanks in advance!

My buddy uses a 2x8 but the back of his van is low so it doesn't need to be that long.

I too have a van and I used a home made ramp for a few years put found a nice 8ft folding aluminum one on sale for $60.00. Another buddy with an F150 has the same one so we have 2 if we need them.

IMO - it was well worth the $$$$$$

Are you loading into a pickup???

I have used a 2X8 for loading a heavy bike on to a trailer - and eventually it snapped in the middle.  I bought another  2X8 and a piece of 1X1 angle iron and screwed it onto the edge/bottom with a screw in the edge/bottom/edge/bottom about every 8 inches.  It worked fine, was cheap and sold it with the trailer.

I've made and used wood ramps for years.  They are heavy and flexy but with a good grade of lumber that is knot free in the center section they will hold up for years,  Doug-Fir or Hem-Fir grade 1 or S is the best.

For safety you need to make the ramp non slip on the top side and the ground end.  I cut a bevel on the ground end and attached a piece of thick rubber shop floor mat with some sheet metal screws.  This keeps the ramp from sliding off the PU when loading/unloading on concrete or other hard surfaces. Worked so good I also added pads to the ground end of my folding aluminum ramps.

Another solution is to use a tie down strap from the mid point of the ramp to the truck's hitch.

It is not fun to be at the mid point of the ramp and have it slip off the tail gate.

I am going through the same thing now. I have the aluminum ramp ends I bought, I am going to buy the boards, The instructions with the ramp ends say my board should be 9 feet something inches. But my truck is small, the bed is just under 6 ft., I have to angle the bike to make it fit. So I can't fit 9 foot plus ramps in the back of the truck. Thinking about maybe making a hinged ramp of some kind?

Can someone tell me how to build a loading ramp for my dirt bike out of wood? I have searched everywhere but can't find anything on how to build one.

I have some money and all the tools to buy the supplies and build a wooden dirt bike loading ramp but I don't have $100 to buy a metal one.

Pictures of the steps would be best. Thanks in advance!

Are you talking about a pickup or trailer, and how high?

I use a 6ft pine 2x6 with a home made pin in front that fits in a short piece of 1/8" wall 1.5" sq tube I welded to the back of my 2' high trailer bed.

For the pin I used a 3" 3/8" carriage bolt going thru at an angle such that the pin is straight up and down when the ramp is angled. On the back side I put on a big washer and 3/8" x 2" F-F standoff.

It is only good for about 350 lbs so dirt bikes or light dual sports only.

I had built one and had it painted with Herculiner truck bed liner and used it for a couple years. This summer I lost it off the trailer so I made another one and just painted it with primer. It only takes a half hour to make including wood chisel a bit on the top and bottom so the bolt head and bottom washer seat square to the hole.

I ended up getting two 5 ft long 2x8's and putting them side by side with smaller wood pieces diagnally across the back to stabalize more. Then I attached another piece of wood to one end with hinges and put metal hooks into the side of that. The hooks hold it onto the tail gate and so far it has been working perfectly.

Thanks everyone. ?

• Like 1

http://www.discountramps.com/folding-dirt-bike-ramps/c/2113/

Wood is fine if you want.. but really now.. go on craigslist and buy a used one or go to some sites and they are cheap to get aluminum.. ebay etc.. Aluminum ones are light and have a channel so it's easier for your tire to go in straight.. but just getting some wood that fits the bill without anything is the easiest thing ever..It's heavier too. but really ?... get a plank.. and you have a ramp.

Get either a length of 2x8 or 2x10, buy one of the premade attachments, attach it to your board and you have a loading ramp.  The metal lip attachments run $20 or so, numerous places have them.

Exactly.. I made two of these.    My main ramp is a grip strut home made ramp, got the strut from work in the scrap pile.  Added an aluminum end on it.  The wood ramps I use mainly for loading Elk in the back of my truck.