DRZ as an investment?

Ok guys, just bought my first bike, a 2005 DRZ400SM and I love it to pieces but I always wish it had more power. So my question is if I do power upgrades like exhaust, 39mm fcr, and a rear fender eliminator, do you think I'll get the majority of my money back when I want to sell it? Naturally this won't be only bike ever, just wondering how extensively I could modify without creating an endless money pit. ThanksImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415840050.588053.jpg

when I look for a bike I like close to stock as possible.

My opinion is w 15 years of the same bike in 4 different versions someone can find a DRZ for less money than the ~$900 you will try to recoupe from an exhaust and a carb.

you might however buy that stuff and remove it and sell separately after you sell the bike w its original parts reinstalled...exhausts (good ones) and FCRs( good ones) are always in demand in parts sales

• Like 5

More like expensively lol.....if you plan on keeping it for a long time go for it.  I plan on taking mine to the grave.  😏   From my many past experiences you rarely get your money back.  🤦

I've seemed to make out better on trading. 

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 2

your never going to make money on a vehicle unless your a professional customizer ..  you have to weigh everything when it comes to spending money, its real easy to 'nickle and dime' yourself into financial stagnation, thats my experience personally ..  nobody will really appreciate anything you do to a vehicle other than keep it spotless, and most wont even be able to put a finger on that effort, but it will retain more value ..

• Like 1

I'm kind of torn on how much I really want to put into mine. I love my drz400sm and plan to keep it forever. I did a full exhaust, 3x3 airbox mod, JD jet kit, DRC edge tail light/plate bracket and put pilot power tires on it when the stock rear was shot. It's the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle just the way it is. I know I wanna do the engine case guards and the cycra pro bend hand guards, and these two things I will be doing very soon. I'd like to get it up in the 45hp range, but I'm not sure that I'll be doing that, at least not soon. I'll do the Hotcams stage 2 intake cam when it comes time to check valve clearance since I'll be in there anyway. I'd like to do the fcr carb too, but I'm not sure when I'll have the extra money.

I would never think of a motorcycle as an investment. You'll most likely never make your money back. Do what you want/can afford to do and just enjoy it.

• Like 2

I'm kind of torn on how much I really want to put into mine. I love my drz400sm and plan to keep it forever. I did a full exhaust, 3x3 airbox mod, JD jet kit, DRC edge tail light/plate bracket and put pilot power tires on it when the stock rear was shot. It's the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle just the way it is. I know I wanna do the engine case guards and the cycra pro bend hand guards, and these two things I will be doing very soon. I'd like to get it up in the 45hp range, but I'm not sure that I'll be doing that, at least not soon. I'll do the Hotcams stage 2 intake cam when it comes time to check valve clearance since I'll be in there anyway. I'd like to do the fcr carb too, but I'm not sure when I'll have the extra money.

I would never think of a motorcycle as an investment. You'll most likely never make your money back. Do what you want/can afford to do and just enjoy it.

Do the FCR and both HOT CAMS,  trust me,   it is so worth the money,   with those 2 upgrades,  the bike has so much more power,  such a stronger pull,  and gets up to speed so much quicker,   one of those things that once you do em,  you'll never go back to stock,   This is the truth,   just being honest. 

• Like 3

plus 1 on what Ron says & just to add my 2cents. I was ready for sellin my drz & buying someting with more power (I'd already done JD jet 3x3 & full exhaust) like a crf or wr450 etc but I deciced to try an fcr carb just to see what all the fuss was about em makin the drz so much better & man am I glad i did coz if I'd known before I would of done it pretty much as soon as i'd bought the drz, then not long after that when I'd found a new love for the dizzer I got a set drz E cams (like hot cams) & with the fcr & cams the bike was damn near the perfect allrounder, since then i've bought an mrd z pro & cw big bore & made it look a lot better & it would take somone with a very large wad of cash in their hand to ever make me consider sellin my drz

• Like 3

The DRZ is definitely not too slow for a new rider(that's funny really), under the right conditions a DRZ can give cbr riders a Handful, with a competent rider.

when you have a cbr rider apologize for holding you up, then your probably ready for more power.

So when I hear a new rider say they need more power, I think their days are probably numbered.

• Like 5