Sign in to follow this  

rm 250 2006 Shifting issue, shifter jammed not moving

So riding recently I couldn't shift as though something was jammed under the shifter, occasionally not being able to shift up or down. So my bike has started to be stuck 2-3 a bunch but also happened between 4-5.  It would happen maybe 5% of the time, and to get it to shift I would ride it a little more and try to shift until it would finally go which usually wouldn't be more than 10 seconds.  This to me seems like it could be debris floating around in the transmission, but I don't know how it could cause the shifter to get stuck and not be ground up in there by the gears.  I had recently installed a wieseco basket performance kit, so plates are fresh and everything but I still checked for a broken plate and everything was fine, same as the previous plates.  So I don't know if this is common or not, from what I have read no one has had issues with this, only issues with it getting stuck into gears or not shifting at all.

My second issue is a year back when I bought it I got it resprung to my weight, when I got it the fork would slightly compress when I took off the stand, I think its suggested to be 35mm, and would maybe move when I sat on it by a very small amount.  Recently the one fork started leaking a bit so its likely a little low on oil but now when I take it off the stand it compresses like 2inch, and when I sit on it it compresses another 2 inch.  Could this be a broken spring?

Thanks

I am thinking a possible broken gear or shifter fork issue.

prob going to have to get in there.

best way to check the forks is to rip them apart, give them new seals and fresh oil, while in there you can see whats up.

Same problem with my 07 RM one day and then it went away for months. Convinced myself I just had a rock jammed under the shifter amongst all the mud. A few months later the bike locked up solid over a jump and restarted once I landed so I tore it apart before I hurt myself. Third gear broke into 3 or more pieces and was destroying all the other gears as well. 

Alright well that sounds like a somewhat easy fix, just dont have any tools for splitting the cases to get at it.  For now i bought a friends 2012 250sx because the price was right and have been struggling with jetting so its been a headache.

I plan on fixing the rm at some point, good to know it could be very minor because i dont ever want to sell the bike.  thanks for the responses

You don't need to split cases if the problem is the shifter arm. You MAY be able to INSPECT it to see if its broken by removing the outer clutch cover, but removing the inner clutch cover will allow you to access it 100%.

Just recently had the same problem part listed above, shift arm, bent on my 03 250. The bike was difficult to shift in to neutral, and was popping out of gear in to false neutrals while riding under acceleration.