Weighing in

I am looking to pick up a 2005 EC300. Motorcyclespecs has it at 102kg,,,exact same weight as KTM 300EXC. I keep hearing that the GGs are heavy, am I missing something? Is it the newer bikes and 4Ts?

I am looking to pick up a 2005 EC300. Motorcyclespecs has it at 102kg,,,exact same weight as KTM 300EXC. I keep hearing that the GGs are heavy, am I missing something? Is it the newer bikes and 4Ts?

Since your  such a trusting type . Can I interest you in some Everglades waterfront property?

My son's 2003 EC200 weighed 257 lbs with bark busters, lights and gas.  My other son's 2003 EC125 weighs 225lbs with bark busters, lights and gas.  Dirtbike Mag says the new KTM 300XC weighs 227 dry.

2.7 gas of fuel                 243. 

2 lbs for bark busters      245

3 lbs for heavy tubes       248 lbs

248 vs 257 is only a 3.5% difference.

I rode my 2000 xc300 back to back with a 2013 250XC KTM and did not notice a difference in weight. 

Then again I did not ride either bike on a scale.

Hey so if we consider rider weight in the equation

175lb rider on a 248lb bike vs a 175lb rider on a 257lb bike is only a 2% difference.

Edited by shredmasterz
  • Like 1

Thanks, the 2003 seem pretty much inline with the 225lb dry mfg claim.

My 2002 CR250 was a blast to ride and I miss the light feel compared to my KLX450 full desert set up piggy.

My buddy swears by GG for woods and light desert. Looking to find the right bike at the right price.

Edited by jimmyh

Despite my critical comments of the current gas gas  ec two strokes. A 05 gasgas compared to other makes of that vintage could be considered a good choice in comparison. In some respects it could be considered superior to the newest GG models.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

We have eight 2004 and older GG bikes in our riding group. With reasonable set up and maintenance, they work great and have been super reliable!  Almost all bikes need to be set up for the rider and many riders have their suspensions revalved and resprung for their weight, riding style and application. This is often true of new and used bikes.  Of course, we can debate the differences how much better a revalved new suspension is compared to a properly revalved old suspension, but for myself and  friends in our riding group, the old GG bikes still work great!  The new bikes sure look pretty, but after riding the above mentioned 2013 KTM 250XC for an hour, I honestly I preferred my GG 2000 XC300.  Yes I am comparing blueberries and oranges, but IMO I have not seen significant changes in these bikes over the last 10 years.

• Like 1