Oiling Issue DRZ 400E ? Wet Sumping

i have a DRZ 400 E 2001 with a Wossner 434 kit/ millennium cylinder,Lectron carb. MRD pipe and a few other add ons. My isuue is wet sumping. I can fill my oil tank and initially it would run straight to the  bottom end, no oil on the stick. I have about 500 miles on this big bore and it runs Great. It does puff a little but I have had the cylinder off 3 times since the initial assembly. It has 150+ lbs. compression, new valve seals, valves have been inspected and they are fine. I just repaced the oil check valve,spring & ball + pulled oil pump and both sides looked fine.I filled the oil in the frame and let it set 2 days. It held the oil up to full mark but I just started it and it smokes plus when I checked the oil after killing it and letting it set a few minutes the stick is dry? Also pulled the choke to inspet the seat and is shutting off for sure. Open for suggestions.  Thanks,Arkie

A DRZ motor will hold more than 1.8 (or 2) qt after a full rebuild.  So first thing I would do is add 2 qt, run it  a few miles, drain the sump, frame and filter, then add 2 qt.  Go ride it to full warm up, motor running remove the dip stick and look to see if you see oil returning. Motor off let sit for 5 min then check the oil.  Then drain the oil from both frame and sump and measure the quantities.  I'm not exactly sure of the correct volumes from each but obviously the total should be 2 qt and most should drain from the frame.

The oil pump has 2 rotors, 1 for feed and 1 for scavenge.  The scavenge side is twice the size of the feed side so oil should never build up in the sump with the motor running.  If the oil is in the right place with the motor running, "wet sumping" (oil transferring to the motor sump dead engine) is not much of a problem.  The DRZ motor is designed so that it can hold a full 2 qt in the motor sump (temporarily).  Oil should get redistributed as soon as the motor starts. You say it does not "wet sump" not running so do some more evaluation and see what the situation is with the motor running. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...