Sign in to follow this  

BritishColumbia ORV act passed in BC

Go to ICBC or your insurance company (I use westland) and get the "Statutory Declaration Canada Evidence Act" form, fill it our and take it to Notary Public. Sounds worse than it is.

Otherwise you can get a BC bill of sale form and have the OP sign it.

IMO - To make sure your not in for any surprises, do a vin check to make sure it has never been reported as stolen

Here http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm or with the RCMP

• Like 1

Go to ICBC or your insurance company (I use westland) and get the "Statutory Declaration Canada Evidence Act" form, fill it our and take it to Notary Public. Sounds worse than it is.

Otherwise you can get a BC bill of sale form and have the OP sign it.

IMO - To make sure your not in for any surprises, do a vin check to make sure it has never been reported as stolen

Here http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm or with the RCMP

When I traded for the bike, I traded a street legal dr650, the PO and me filled out a trade agreement form, with all the info, vin, year, model etc. and signed. Will this be enough or will I still need the stat dec?? Guess I can go in and see.

Personally I think this is a good thing other than paying taxes when buying used bikes, but there is ways aound paying to much.(purchase price, $1, needs engine work) Also, while reading the law there is some loopholes we could take advantage of to get actual road plates for our off road only vehicles, but it requires a free miners license and a wood lot licence and approval from the local jack boot...

Not sure why this is such a bad thing. As for the plate, many of us in NS just make a color copy of the plate, reduce it and throw it on the fender under clear vinyl. I never ride with my plate, I just carry a copy of it with my registration and insurance. Any time DNR gives me grief I explain to them its a safety hazard having a sharp metal plate attached to the bike. I show them my paper work and they are pretty cool.

In NS, the $55 plate and yearly reg fee go into a pool that we can access funds from to do a whole lot of good for the sport of offroad riding. It has paid for MSF dirtbike training(I'm a certified trainer), ride parks, maintenance, equipment, etc. The funds from registration in my province really helps with building the community and growing participation.

Our local sanctioning body is a real positive and proactive organization that I am happily involved with. Most clubs will get you a discount on insurance as well from people like Oasis insurance. Most of the MX racers actually buy a $20 NSORRA membership every year as well because we can provide cheap race insurance for MX and HS events.

http://nsorra.ca/

You can still ride tracks and private land without a plate and registration.

When I traded for the bike, I traded a street legal dr650, the PO and me filled out a trade agreement form, with all the info, vin, year, model etc. and signed. Will this be enough or will I still need the stat dec?? Guess I can go in and see.

Personally I think this is a good thing other than paying taxes when buying used bikes, but there is ways aound paying to much.(purchase price, $1, needs engine work) Also, while reading the law there is some loopholes we could take advantage of to get actual road plates for our off road only vehicles, but it requires a free miners license and a wood lot licence and approval from the local jack boot...

Normally if you declare a value that is too low or suspect they will make their own assessment and charge you what they feel is the book value.

If you are a dealer or have a friend who is and can appraise, you can have them assess the bike for you.

Great now I've got something else to wreck on my bike. I agree with Monk, it is too late to complain about this but it sure doesn't make life better or easier having to plate these bikes designed strictly for off road use. My biggest issue is going to be safe placement of the damn thing. Cannot imagine how many ripped MX pants I'm going to end up with. 

I used to hang mine under the rear fender above my mud flap. Ended up coming off too much if you did any MX though so I switched to a color copy and clear vinyl on the top of the rear fender.

Normally if you declare a value that is too low or suspect they will make their own assessment and charge you what they feel is the book value.

If you are a dealer or have a friend who is and can appraise, you can have them assess the bike for you.

On ICBC xfer forms it gives you the option to explain why the item is being sold below market value. "Needs engine work" seems to suffice.

i sold a bike the other day and the buyer wanted to make sure it could be transfered into his name. it was 12 percent tax plus a fee of $30. the person working at the insurance place showed us the new dirtbike plates and theyre BIGGER than a motorcycle plate!!! about an inch or so but still thats retarded what is their logic??

On ICBC xfer forms it gives you the option to explain why the item is being sold below market value. "Needs engine work" seems to suffice.

that's kinda funny, cuz they all need engine work all the time....heck, mine needs the valves checked and the oil changed after the first ride.  At a dealer that's $pendy.  Hard to say how they'll close the loopholes.

Ok so I bought my son a crf 50 for his birthday this year, at the dealership I paid the registration fee and taxes. Since then I have only been to the mx track with him (kids track). So my question is

1. We plan to ride the tailings pond area in hope (fvdra) which is a family friendly place as well as chipmunk creek. Can he ride on deactivated fsr's do I need a plate for him? As most trail systems in bc link up with some sort of fsr's to cross how is this going to play out.

Ok so I bought my son a crf 50 for his birthday this year, at the dealership I paid the registration fee and taxes. Since then I have only been to the mx track with him (kids track). So my question is

1. We plan to ride the tailings pond area in hope (fvdra) which is a family friendly place as well as chipmunk creek. Can he ride on deactivated fsr's do I need a plate for him? As most trail systems in bc link up with some sort of fsr's to cross how is this going to play out.

Everything is on hold for now. As if now you don't need anything...

Curious as to how you say it's on hold, only thing I have seen is BCORMA wanting the government to put it on hold

Just checked BCORMA and looks like the site is down.

Any link to current info as to why it's on hold???

last thing I read a few weeks ago was you now need to buy a yearly sticker for the plate if you want to cross highways.

https://mailer.myinteriorsavings.com/2015/03/upcoming-changes-for-off-road-vehicles/

That was the operating on highway section in the above link- $48.00 for the one time plate and $48.00 for the yearly sticker.

I drilled into the sticker requirement a bit but can not find the link I found.

I'm looking for a loop hole to see if I would be able to ride my cfr250R on the highway if I make it meet minimum highway requirements (I have my street bike license)

I'm also late to the party here.

I have a CRF250X.  I guess now I have to plate it.  How is everyone mounting their plates?  Does ICBC give you a mounting bracket?

In addition, I bought this bike from the USA and I have a title and declared it at the border.  This means I've already paid tax on it.  Is ICBC going to force more sales tax on me, or am I done?

Ya I just got this info as well.

I was waiting to the bitter end (may 31st) to go for the plate/registration process.

Sticker is by far the best option

That's good news so I should be ok with just my bikes being registered and liability insurance for crown land

If I bought my bike from the USA and I have a title and declared it at the border, do I still have to pay *more* taxes on it?  I paid taxes when I brought it across the border.

If I bought my bike from the USA and I have a title and declared it at the border, do I still have to pay *more* taxes on it?  I paid taxes when I brought it across the border.

yes you have to pay pst