How do I free up some power from my son's 2012 PW50?

One of the little bikes we had for my sons had an exhaust gasket at the head that had a tiny hole in the middle. I opened the hole up with a die grinder to match the diameter of the pipe. It may have been the PW we had. Take a quick look. Also, I pulled the spark a rest or out and cut the restriction out of it and then reinstalled it. Wasn't significantly louder.

I am sure you have the restriction washer out of the pipe?  If not pull the washer and throw it away.  Jetting is the key to the pw50.  You need to lean the main jet out and always keep a clean air filter in it.  Quick fix would be to drop the slide needle one clip.  Move the c-clip up one groove to move the needle down.  Also, always keep the correct amount of oil in the transmission, to much causes excessive drag on the motor which will suck the power out of the little thing. 

Such as , if it has a #70 main jet, then drop it to a #65.  Moving the needle c-clip up one notch is just a quick shop fix, but the bike should be jetted correctly later on.  A stock pw50 can be tuned to rev from idle to screaming on the top end.  Just takes some jets and an afternoon of tuning.  Remember, anything you do to the air filter will require jetting all over, such as replacing the stock air box with a open clamp on filter.