Stock Chain Guard...recycled, chopped and modified

I couldnt stand the ugly stock chain guard so I ditched it rightaway....but, I find i dont like chain lube all over the bike either.

So i took it out and started cutting. The metal bracket under the plastic was perfect, just need to trim the fat.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by soolio

I couldnt stand the ugly stock chain guard so I ditched it rightaway....but, I find i dont like chain lube all over the bike either.

So i took it out and started cutting. The metal bracket under the plastic was perfect, just need to trim the fat.

📎image.jpg📎image.jpg📎image.jpg📎image.jpg

Nice work but i say take her back off all together 🙂  I have had mine off since day one and never had a problem with the chain lube getting on the bike (and i clean and lube quite often)  Maybe your putting too much on ?!

• Like 5

Nice work but i say take her back off all together 🙂  I have had mine off since day one and never had a problem with the chain lube getting on the bike (and i clean and lube quite often)  Maybe your putting too much on ?!

Same here. Good, properly applied chain lube won't fling. I lube my chain everytime it gets wet (washed or rained on), which is quite often. No fling problems on my DRZ or R6, no chain guards.

• Like 2

Yeah ., I ditched mine too .

i removed mine, and went and did a 1/4 miles at infineon raceway..and they said i need to have it on.. "cuz without that piece there, well if your chain breaks, its gona cut off somebodys head!" - TECH GUY lol

• Like 1

Radtech , how did you get the ovals into your guard ? Was it a hole saw and a die grinder , then some sanding ? Guess what I am going to do to mine over xmas ? greg  👍

I wanted to remove it but it does help keep things a little cleaner when you ride a lot of miles...  So a some modification makes it look a little better...

IMG_9554_new%2520guard%2520s.jpg

Radtech , how did you get the ovals into your guard ? Was it a hole saw and a die grinder , then some sanding ? Guess what I am going to do to mine over xmas ? greg  👍

Hello Greg,  I covered the area in masking tape, laid out the holes and then center punched the main areas to drill using 2 different unibits (step type drill bits), then just cut, filed and de-burred the openings.  There is a long oval hole in the metal bracket that connects to the rear mount and I did not enlarge that, just cut out the opening.  The tail end was just sanded on the belt sander.  It did not take that long to modify and it still does the job...

Here is a photo after just the holes were drilled.

DRZ%2520chain%2520guard.jpg

I was thinking about making new brackets so I could lowering the guard since I never use a rear sprocket larger than 40 teeth, but that will have to wait until later...   have fun.

• Like 3