2009 CRF450R, hard start stopped running, no spark

Here's the chain of events I'm dealing with:

Bike ran great 3 weeks ago

Air filter was washed and sprayed along with cleaning the bike

Went to California, bike was hard to start and ran terrible so I parked it

When I got home, I replaced the spark plug and fuel filter without change, I also pulled the pump and tested it and it ran fine, I had no spark

Took it to the shop, they called today and said the fuel pump was friend and wires were burnt (that's incredible seeing as how I just looked at them and they were fine).  The guy at the counter was convinced when i dropped it off that it was the fuel pump even though it had no spark and it tested fine (sounds fishy)

Thoughts?

The whole thing sounds strange.. 

It's possible you could have shorted/burnt something up when you tested the fuel pump.. How did you test the pump.? 

What type of power source/supply did you use..?

I ran it against a bike battery for just a sec.  I would have noticed burnt wires when I reassembled.  12V is 12V

I don't trust any bike shops. That is all.

I don't trust any shops! It's just too bad I'm so short on time I thought this would save me some.  Lesson learned, service manual ordered and back to doing everything myself.

Dan,

I don't do anything without the Service Manual as a reference.. Bike shops have been know to be unethical to make a profit.. I know a guy that took his bike to a shop for a tune up. They told him the top end was worn out and it needed to be rebuilt. He agreed and paid them for the work. A couple months later his bike was losing power, smoking, and burning oil.. I told him to bring his bike out to our shop and we would help him pull the engine apart for inspection.

When we pulled the head and cylinder off, it had an old worn-out Wiseco 13:1 piston in the engine. So much for the bike shop he used before putting a new piston in, although they charged him for a new OEM piston, rings, cam chain, and gaskets.. maybe they simply forgot to put them in..  

I don't trust anyone to do a job that I can do myself.

Just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

Dan,

I don't do anything without the Service Manual as a reference.. Bike shops have been know to be unethical to make a profit.. I know a guy that took his bike to a shop for a tune up. They told him the top end was worn out and it needed to be rebuilt. He agreed and paid them for the work. A couple months later his bike was losing power, smoking, and burning oil.. I told him to bring his bike out to our shop and we would help him pull the engine apart for inspection.

When we pulled the head and cylinder off, it had an old worn-out Wiseco 13:1 piston in the engine. So much for the bike shop he used before putting a new piston in, although they charged him for a new OEM piston, rings, cam chain, and gaskets.. maybe they simply forgot to put them in..  

I don't trust anyone to do a job that I can do myself.

Just my 2 cents..

Completely agree, I wasn't a student and full time employee I would have the time.  Your ID says your in AZ?  And you have a shop? 

Dan,

Yes.. I have an FBO consisting of several aircraft hangars for special mission aircraft maintenance, flight operations, integration, and modifications. We do all of our bike work, rebuilds, modifications, and general maintenance in our aviation facility.

I did not mean to imply that I have a "bike shop".. 

What part of AZ are you in.?

F1

Edited by SnowMule
Content removal per OP request

Hey Dig.. 

Business is good along the SW Border from CA to Corpus Christi.. no sign of illegals and smugglers giving up and going back home anytime soon..!! They like the current Administration.! Ha..

Have you been back to ELP lately.? 

PS:

It hit 80 degrees here in Southern AZ today.. do you guys have snow on the ground in NC.? 

Haha I bet the arnt. We had flurries this morning actually. 72 tomorrow they say. Wtf. And no sir my bro got restationed but I honestly would take that flight there and back for the food if tickets weren't so much. I will be back to ride there on day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...