Sign in to follow this  

Can you ID this throttle cable?

So went to take my SM out for a ride Thursday night, went to rev it up as I was leaving and the throttle stuck open! Turned the bike off an rolled it back into the garage. I tore it down and narrowed it down to a frozen throttle cable.

Problem is, since I bought the bike modded, I'm not sure what throttle cable this is. I do have the FCR carb conversion. From my research so far, I'm not sure it is an R1 throttle mod or not...or maybe it is.

Can anyone ID this throttle cable?

• Measures about 44" overall length
  • Single cable (with no return cable)
IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

So I did some more digging and found that this cable is the SSW short throw cable from Eddie Sisneros. 

Does anyone know how I can get a replacement? From what I can tell he's no longer in business. Has anyone converted to any other similar setups that are equally as good? I love the single cable setup and would like to keep it.

Motion Pro can make you a cable by sample but chances are it is a standard cable for something.  Motion Pro may be able to match it up with something already made up.  The key features are length, fittings and "stick out".

So I did some more digging and found that this cable is the SSW short throw cable from Eddie Sisneros. 

Does anyone know how I can get a replacement? From what I can tell he's no longer in business. Has anyone converted to any other similar setups that are equally as good? I love the single cable setup and would like to keep it.

send eddie an email? 

send eddie an email? 

I sure did. Based on what I saw online and here on TT I wasn't sure of he was still around or not. But I found his website and emailed him, he actually replied to my email in about 5 minutes. 

I'm 99% sure it's one of his SSW kits from what I've been able to research.

Just ordered.

Edited by MotoJunkii
  • Like 1

I sure did. Based on what I saw online and here on TT I wasn't sure of he was still around or not. But I found his website and emailed him, he actually replied to my email in about 5 minutes. 

I'm 99% sure it's one of his SSW kits from what I've been able to research.

Just ordered.

so what did he say he uses? custom or from something else? when i bought my bike it had a billet setup that used a crf450 cable. and i didnt find that out until i bought 2 drz cables. haha..

Motion Pro will make you one. All you do is tell them which throttle, which carb, bike, and how long you want it. In this case, being a bike that came with push-pull setup, you'll have to acknowledge that a single cable is not recommended, and tell them it's a track only bike. If you can supply them with all the necessary information, they really don't even care what bike it's for.

so what did he say he uses? custom or from something else? when i bought my bike it had a billet setup that used a crf450 cable. and i didnt find that out until i bought 2 drz cables. haha..

He didn't say what he uses...but from what I was able to find out it gave me the impression it was a custom cable made for the DRZ SSW single pull setup. $40 bucks shipped. I just pulled the trigger paid it, knowing that it was the same cable I had before. The throttle end of the cable has a threaded insert, and with my luck if I guessed at it I would get it wrong. If I was feeling adventurous, I'd experiment with the RMZ450 throttle and cables...I might do that next year when I get some spare time just for the heck of it.

But for now I need to get back on the road. :ride:

• Like 1

He didn't say what he uses...but from what I was able to find out it gave me the impression it was a custom cable made for the DRZ SSW single pull setup. $40 bucks shipped. I just pulled the trigger paid it, knowing that it was the same cable I had before. The throttle end of the cable has a threaded insert, and with my luck if I guessed at it I would get it wrong. If I was feeling adventurous, I'd experiment with the RMZ450 throttle and cables...I might do that next year when I get some spare time just for the heck of it.

If I were you before I installed it, I would measure the cable just in case they stop being made and you need another one. Then you'll be able to tell someone a length to make a new cable...

If I were you before I installed it, I would measure the cable just in case they stop being made and you need another one. Then you'll be able to tell someone a length to make a new cable...

Eddie used to make his own cables .. he may have went to having them manufactured at some point when he went big with the quick turn. But he gave me several cable part suppliers over the years so I could make mine in house.

Making cables is not hard, but it takes some knowledge and tools not commonly on hand be most. (Solder Pot being one)

Motion pro makes a nice cable, turn around is quick so unless your going to be making them often for different  bikes.. just buy one pre made.