One Light Clutch - the solution to that old heavy clutch?

There are aftermarket levers that provide more leverage but at the expense of a longer pull and/or hitting your other fingers if you only use one or two fingers for the clutch. 

Two of the guys I ride with have been using this One Light Clutch setup from Clake... I haven't really got my head around the engineering but seems it uses cams and a pile of tricks to get a very light clutch with just a normal range of movement.

One of our guys has been using the Clake for 7 months, the other for 3 months and I filmed them talking about it and made the video review below.

My middle aged fingers ache after each ride so looks I'll be getting one soon too. There's a fair bit of complex machining to these with little cams etc to work their magic so it ain't cheap. But the Australian dollar is falling again so all you lucky overseas riders will get it cheaper.

Conservation of energy says a pile of cams and tricks to do the same amount of work in the same amount of distance with less force is bullshit.  Looks like they just moved the lever inboard to make it easier to pull with your index finger but did not give you the option of using all of your fingers when your pull finger gets tired.

Edited by 1987CR250R

I made my own easy pull clutch for free with parts lying around and a nylon strap. The perch is mounted on the bend of the bar and I had to use some epoxy putty to mount it. I have small hands and find that it is easier to pull when the contact point is closer to the bar. Simple concept: long lever=easy pull.

15829696735_4241a10f5d_h.jpg20141119_171409 by burning retinas, on Flickr

• Like 1

Conservation of energy says a pile of cams and tricks to do the same amount of work in the same amount of distance with less force is bullshit.  Looks like they just moved the lever inboard to make it easier to pull with your index finger but did not give you the option of using all of your fingers when your pull finger gets tired.

Yes, but if they used linkage so the pivot distance varies, then it'll be light at the beginning of the pull, when your grip is weakest, and heavier closer to the bar, when your grip is stronger. That's my guess by thinking about suspension leverage rates. 

Wetbed0 is probably onto it.  Linkages and/or cams can create a variable ratio condition that has increased leverage as the load increases, and springs can be placed so as to go "over center" shortly into the pull so as to assist the last part of it.

Nevertheless, it is undeniable that you get nothing for nothing, so absent something like spring assist, less effort with the same travel is actually BS.

I also wanted a lighter clutch pull but I have strong hands and fingers so a 2 finger operation would be fine for me.  SO, all I would need is a standard length lever, (not a shorty) with a ball bearing pivot instead of the brass bushing.  With those features, I'm OK with less actual cable movement for the lever pull.  I can see my YZ would be fine with that trade-off.  I posted that question in the Yamaha 2t sub-forum if anyone knew who sells a lever with these features.  I got NO responses.

I should add an adjustable "resting position" is probably a good feature too.

Edited by motoxvet

There is a spring assist also. No BS

My Clake 2 also has a spring assist (variable with the cams)- it works fantastic!

I have not tried the one described above, but I am convinced it will work as well as the unit I have for a nice light clutch.

Mark

+1, the little clutch lever on the clake 2 is truly one finger however they do it.

• Like 1

The previously mentioned "over center spring" work great I had a Chrysler 300 with a manual transmision and the clutch pedal had an over center spring, it pull the pedal up on the top inch or so of travel, and below that pulled the pedal down.  The preload on the spring was adjustable via a nut.  The engine had big clutch springs to handle all of the torque so the added help from the spring made the car easier to drive in traffic.  

Another way to reduce clutch lever pull is to add an extension to the clutch arm like I and others have done to our XRs.  Accomplishes the same as Lotus54 pulley system but the XRs have the clutch cable along side the cylinder so don't really have enough space for a pulley system. 

I got the idea from a post by Towlieee on TT and it worked very well. The poster welded a 3/4" splice into the clutch arm but for me it was easier to bolt on an extension to the arm, that way I could easily go back to stock. Here is a link to Towliee’s thread: http://www.thumperta...ight=clutch mod

I chose a bolt on extension so I could easily return to stock if I didn’t like the results. I drilled out the rivet holding the cable clip to the arm and then used a 3/4" x 2" piece of flat stock (Home Depot) to replicate the end of the the clutch arm with a 3/4" extension, this fit to the underside of the arm and extended 3/4" beyond the end of the clutch arm. I contoured the clutch lever end to suit the joggle radius in the clutch arm (see Toelees pic). I then clamped it to the under side of the clutch arm and used the existing clip hole to drill the extension, fastened it with a 5mm bolt. I then drilled a hole thru both for a 1/8" SS rivet (not enough room for another bolt hole between the existing cable clip hole and the dogleg bend in the lever). Next I installed the cable clip to the hole in the end of the flat stock that was 3/4" away from the original cable clip hole. And then used a tapered drift bar to re align cable bracket to the new hole. 40% reduction in clutch pull!!
Cable - Honda #22870-KT0-670 $20.78 MotionPro #02-0055 $14.70

Also the MSR Raptor EZ pull clutch perch/lever

• 2 years later...

My solution was a Pro Taper clutch perch with the ball bearing pivot. It COMPLETELY SOLVED my '01 YZ250 hard clutch pull. No other changes, same cable.

I CAN do a 1 finger pull but trying that all day would make for a tired finger but 2 fingers is NO problem. I give it a squeeze every time I walk past it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112021541178?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT