Set up for ktm 300xcw

First post in thumper talk just singed up today . Hello everyone !

So I race hare scrambles in the ecea and neoc in NJ /PA . I used to do this on an 09 ktm 450 which I really liked and became very comfortable on .

Recently picked up a used 08 300xcw , felt great , definitely lighter, great ride overall . Really like it. Was doing really well on it at first too, but now it's starting to feel unpredictable at times and I'm not as comfortable as I first was . The most talk I hear about the 300's is set up ! Power valve , jetting , different pipes ect...

So since my mechanical abilities are limited to oil changes and air filters does anyone one know a place or person in the area of central jersey that could help me get this bike set up right for what I'm doing . I had the suspension done already at WER so that's good , even though I always feel like I'm set to hard or to soft anyway ! Lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

First post in thumper talk just singed up today . Hello everyone !

So I race hare scrambles in the ecea and neoc in NJ /PA . I used to do this on an 09 ktm 450 which I really liked and became very comfortable on .

Recently picked up a used 08 300xcw , felt great , definitely lighter, great ride overall . Really like it. Was doing really well on it at first too, but now it's starting to feel unpredictable at times and I'm not as comfortable as I first was . The most talk I hear about the 300's is set up ! Power valve , jetting , different pipes ect...

So since my mechanical abilities are limited to oil changes and air filters does anyone one know a place or person in the area of central jersey that could help me get this bike set up right for what I'm doing . I had the suspension done already at WER so that's good , even though I always feel like I'm set to hard or to soft anyway ! Lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Your post is bike specific, so why not post here?

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/78-ktm-2-stroke/

You also need to get used to a different power delivery. The 300 will be softer on the bottom but they have good torque that doesn't spin the rear tire too much. Sometimes I think you need to use the clutch and throttle a bit more to get to the meat of your power band.

They may be soft, but messing with the power valve etc.. 300s will bounce off the bottom if you want. Great enduro bikes

KTM 2 strokes are very sensitive to jetting adjustments. The weather has gotten colder lately (big surprise!), so your jetting has become leaner and much more responsive. I will install a richer pilot jet and change the needle clip position on my 300 once it gets consistently below 50*. I wrote this in reponse to another member with a similar question - you may find it helpful: 

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1069797-ktm-300-xc-w-jetting-woes/

Edited by motorhead1812