So i bought a pair of tech 3s from AS a few months ago. Probably got 3 rides on em and have 4 straps/buckels break. Then switched back to my trusty 7 yr old gearne SG 10s...best boots ever... Anyway just called alpine star and they said they would repair them for me. question is what should i do to improve these boots as far as helping the buckels latch easier once i get them back? And any tips on helping them not to disentegrate so easily?

Sell them and get another pair of Gaernes?  :excuseme:

• Like 3

I know (for the people that are interested in there first pair of boots) that the price of A* Tech 3s and Fox Comp 5s etc is tempting.....but the quality and protection that these boot DO NOT provide actually makes them more expensive than higher end boots.

Think about it.....$200 for the "cheap" boots, one pair a year (or every other if you are lucky) vs. $450 for a quality pair of boots that will last for 7 years......I lived and learned.

There are cheap ($200) boots that will last for a couple seasons AND give your foot pretty good protection, but they are simply not nearly as safe or well built as a pair of quality boots are. I go the $200 boots for my son, who's foot "gains a size a month", but for me...NEVER again!

• Like 1

I know (for the people that are interested in there first pair of boots) that the price of A* Tech 3s and Fox Comp 5s etc is tempting.....but the quality and protection that these boot DO NOT provide actually makes them more expensive than higher end boots.

Think about it.....$200 for the "cheap" boots, one pair a year (or every other if you are lucky) vs. $450 for a quality pair of boots that will last for 7 years......I lived and learned.

There are cheap ($200) boots that will last for a couple seasons AND give your foot pretty good protection, but they are simply not nearly as safe or well built as a pair of quality boots are. I go the $200 boots for my son, who's foot "gains a size a month", but for me...NEVER again!

i really dont quite understand why they released such a junky boot...they literally fellapart after 1 ride. And were toast after 3. I feel very dumb for buying these boots but you know how it goes...just too tempting to try...lesson learned the hard way

This will turn into the same Tech3 thread that has been done before aud-nausium.

It always amazes me the disdain these boots have.

I have a pair and have never had any issues.  They buckle and unbuckle and feel fine for me.

I have seen guys with the same Tech3s use a screw driver t get out of them.  But mine have worked fine for a couple seasons as MX boots.  I use them 2-3-4 times a week as have a track around my yard.  I must have gotten luckey with this pair at $140.

Lokking forward to bigger better more expensive boots at some point, but no complaints with my Tech3s over the past two seasons.

Just thought I'd post this as it is early in the thread.  Sure there will be many "world stop spinning" posts about Tech3 boots coming.

• Like 3

Tech 3s arent bad. You get what you pay for....entry level pair of boots. My only complaint was the sole was getting chewed up from my rear brake pedal. Otherwise, they provided adequate protection in all the right places. Personally, I prefer the tech 7s as they are one of the lightest boots on the market. Astars just released a tech 5 that is affordable and an upgrade from the tech 3s. ?

Edited by DASFUEHRER

I bought a pair of Tech 3 at the start of the season.  A couple of rides in a chunk of sole tore out.  Presumably from my peg.  This has never happened to me before.  They seemed break down rapidy.  I feel they are actually worse than $100 MSR or some other cheap generic boot.  As far as performance/cost they are not a good deal in my opinion.  I almost gave up on Alpinestars but decided to give them another try and got a pair of tech 7's.  They seem to be much better built than the 3's.  My tech 7's have the new buckle design which I like.  I havn't had them on the trail yest so I hope I didn't waste my money.

• Like 1

I am surprised.  I am on my second pair of tech 3's.  I got 5 seasons out of my first pair and I am wrapping up my second season on my second pair.  The first pair was beyond beat when I replaced them however the new pair with now 2 seasons on them are holding up great.  No tears or broken buckles and the soles are still in great shape as well.

• Like 2