What do you want to see innovated/changed?

**I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move it!**

Hello Thumpertalk member, my name is Daniel. Next year i will be fortunate enough to take a course at my high school that will allow me to (try to) patent an original idea.  I will have access to a CNC machine, along with a full shop with different types of tools. I just don't know what to change/innovate. I know it is something dirt bike related, maybe even mountain bike related?
That's where you guys come in! What is something that you've always wanted done or changed to a dirt bike or mountain bike? I will also be including my ideas as they come along. 

Thanks for reading!

I would like to see somebody design a rear hub that is reversible.  What I mean is to be able to take the sprocket and put it on the disk side and the disk on the sprocket side effectively flipping the tire on the rim and giving you a nice square accelerating edge without having to actually take the tire off the rim.   

Edited by ScootMcGoot
  • Like 4

I would also like to see active suspension that self adjusts to changing trail conditions.  I think somebody with enough time could fairly easily prototype this with off the shelf suspesion components.  Build some sort of stepper motor that can manipulate the clickers as you are riding based on some inputs from some sensors like a speedo, tach, throttle position, accelerometer, etc.  This would by no means be durable or production ready but certainly a step in the right direction to active suspension on a dirt bike.

I would like to see somebody design a rear hub that is reversible. What I mean is to be able to take the sprocket and put it on the disk side and the disk on the sprocket side effectively flipping the tire on the rim and giving you a nice square accelerating edge without having to actually take the tire off the rim.

I'm not really sure I understand this...

I'm not really sure I understand this...

Basically a hub that you could put a sprocket or a disk on either side.  This currently is not possible because the disk side usually have 4 bolts and the sprocket side has 6 bolts and is also usually beefier.  There is a product on the market that is similar to this idea and that is the RAD HEX hubs...

http://www.radmfg.com/Hex-Series-REAR-HUB-125-up-p/radh-hx-1r.htm

Basically the hub is generic and you buy the adapters for the bikes that you have.  This allows you to switch wheels between bikes.  My idea is to take that one step further and allow the adapters to interchange onto either side of the hub which according to RAD is not currently possible.

A tool for changing tires, like a reverse claw that pushes out and ratchets and has 5 or 6 arms that lift that tire all in one go rather than multiple spoons

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/43111-no-pinch-tire-tool/

If the idea is posted here, you will NOT be able to patent it because it becomes public domain. 

To clarify - the Problem can be posted here, but the Solution must not be made public.

Are you sure that's true?  I was under the impression an idea, or concept could be patented so long as there is no existing patent or pending....

• Like 1

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/43111-no-pinch-tire-tool/

Are you sure that's true?  I was under the impression an idea, or concept could be patented so long as there is no existing patent or pending....

To patent an invention - it must satisfy 3 requirements:

1.  Utility - must be useful.

2.  Novelty - must be novel - never made, sold, or described publicly before.

3.  Non-obvious - 

For instance, you can design and patent a better tire-changing machine.  However, the suggestion above of "A tool for changing tires, like a reverse claw that pushes out and ratchets and has 5 or 6 arms that lift that tire all in one go rather than multiple spoons" is no longer patentable because the disclosure on this forum has made it obvious.  Now, it is highly unlikely that the USPTO will find the reference on this forum, so your patent could be granted.  However, it could be invalidated if a competitor later finds this forum post.  Also, you are required to disclose any "publication" that you are aware of that describes the invention.  You might still get a patent if you define new aspects, like specify certain angles, ratios, materials, etc. 

Here is a better description of these concepts:  http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/intellectual-property/idea-must-be-useful-novel-or-non-obvious.html

• Like 1