Fuel Injected 2007 Engine

Hey guys, I have been kicking around the idea of fuel injecting my 2007 engine.  Can it be done using the 2009 factory EFI system or will I have to buy aftermarket?  Basically will a trail tech stator give it enough power if I can get the TB and harness and sensors mounted up?  Does anyone know if the voltage running to the fuel injector would run two of them if I installed a second one or would it lower the voltage or up the resistance to where neither injector would function properly?  I am stricktly racing and trying to be the first with an Alky injected EFI engine in my class and have had a lot of success this year with a 45 mm race carb but it is very touchy throttle control and tends to want to blow the tires off exiting the corners, and I also need a little better fuel milage.  I am hoping that I can stick with alcohol as my fuel and retrofit a good efi system.  I can make intake manifolds or adapters for the TB that is no problem and my fuel tank and pump or pumps are also no issue to house in a custom tank (I dont race a bike).  I am figuring that with how heavily modded my engine is and the fact that my engine has twice the fuel cunsumption as a gas engine that running twin injectors and pumps with a 50 mm tb will give me the package that I am looking for.  I am not afraid to do a lot of work to make this happen if its even possible. 

Thanks for any and all advice.

Edited by Wes Snow

this would certainly be an interesting project but i hate to see you go through those pains so i'll try to talk you out of it for a second. one main reason why the 05-08 frames are desirable is because of the carb. EFI will not necessarily get you better mileage than the carb. you can program it how you like but there is nothing earth shattering over a carb bike. troubleshooting will be a pain in comparison to a carb bike. you also add weight to your bike. based on what you posted it sounds like you want more control of the power delivery. i would look at ways of controlling that delivery such as a heavier flywheel weight, throttle cams...things like that.

if i were to go about it probably the best way would be to pick up an 09 and transfer what you need with both bikes side by side. that way you wont miss anything. if you decide to move forward post your progress and i am sure people will chime in and help out as you go along. i could be wrong, but after completing the project you might find you really like it.

Thank you for the reply Jon.  I am not racing a bike and I love trying to pave the way with new ideas.  I am racing an unlimited Kart and my CRF 450 is very competitive with the Jawas and finished up front at the races I attended this season.  The problem is that with a carb the alcohol does not atomize and it makes it a all or nothing type feel with throttle control.  It works really well if the track has a lot of bite but if it doesnt I am definately losing time from lack of traction when I crack the throttle.  The reason that the sprint cars and late models that run alcohol instead of gas use a mechanical fuel injection instead of a carb is to eliminate the problem I am having with lack of throttle control.  When you atomize the fuel due to really high fuel pressure and an injector spray pattern it seems to add a lot of control to your foot pedal.  Thier is a mechanical injection system I can purchase through hilborn but it is primative at best.  It would give me more of what I am looking for but it is very pricey and is not ecactly a good way to get the fuel curve exact, as well as more issues.  I agree with the EFI being a lot more complicated to diagnose issues and being a pain, and adding a little weight does not matter because I am having to add lead to make the legal minimum anyway.  I will be happy to post a few pics of my set up and how its going if I decide to try this.  I guess it would be best to buy a 09 that is blown up and take what I need.  I wonder if my trail tech stator will supply enough power to run the EFI system and will the harness be a direct plug in?  I am very interested to know if I can run two injectors off of the same system or if it wont work....  Lots of unkown but if my chances are good I will take the risk.

You can't use your carb bike stator to run the EFI system as it doesn't have the properly clocked and triggered dual pickup sensors. You'd need to build a custom stator and flywheel setup that would feed the EFI harness and then you'll be on your way. Increasing the systems fuel pressure and dyno tuning to the correct AFR will likely be necessary next steps. Might wanna consider swapping the entire EFI motor into that chassis, or just start from scratch with an EFI bike.

Edited by Eddie8v

contact Travis at Thumper Racing (775-309-4956) and see what he thinks might help you out.  I recall Travis talking about building high HP quad motors for dragsters using alcohol and high comp pistons.   i realize your not building a drag motor, but he has alot of expereince in motor building and may have some ideas or suggestions that will get you where you need to be.  let us know what he says.