Wheel not perfectly true-- should I be concerned?

bought some DRZ400sm supermoto wheels used off ebay to convert my S. the bearings are good and its perfectly round with no flat spots, but when I spin the front wheel there is a very slight side to side movement, maybe 1mm. Should I be concerned?  the tread is almost done so maybe its just the wear on the tire and not the wheel? I'm noticing the movement as i spin the wheel and watch the gap between the tire sidewall and the fork leg.  Maybe i could post a video, if needed.  my hunch is that its nothing, but just want to be sure.

side note- i bought the P-12 adjustable lift stand from Motorsports Products, extremely wobbly front to back despite the great reviews on RockyMountain.  i would not dare to change the wheels on that thing, its getting returned.  any better secure stands that fit under the SM?  I've heard the DRC is good.

Run out side to side of 2mm is the acceptable limit.  But you measure the rim not the tire.  Most of the time run out can be corrected to quite a bit less than 2mm.  Assuming the rim is in good condition 0.5mm is attainable.  You should probably check for loose spokes on any used wheel.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge Noble, that makes me feel better.  I'm sure at the rim the side-to-side is even less, but I'll definitely check spokes before I hit the road.  👍

Be careful not to over tighten any lose spokes, you can make matters worse.

A little spray of WD 40 on the nipples beforehand wont hurt either.

Put a pencil on the fork leg (or swing arm for the rear) so the point is close to touching the rim (I use a rubber band), tighten the spokes where the rim is the farthest from the pencil, you might need to loosen the other side too, rather than tightening any spoke too tight.

Buy/use a proper spoke wrench and true to the rim, not the tire...easy peasy.

Ken

• Like 1