2006 Suzuki drz 400 engine trouble

My bike sounded resisted like it was working harder than it should at low speeds but the guys at the shop told me it was fine. Long story short I rode it hard for a few weeks and I heard a loud noise. The bike is completely seized and the rear tire will not spin in any gear. The spark plug is not mangled but the gap has been smashed by something. I don't know much but I'm assuming the engine is toast. Any recommendations on how to keep this cheap? Where to send the engine where to get a new one? Rebuild or swap? Anything helps. The bike is located in Washington state so any shops around there would be good. Thanks for the help

You may look to the long term financial ideal. If you take it to someone, it will cost. If you work on it yourself, it will cost just as much because you will make mistakes and upgrade your tool set. In the long run, you will be able to work on your current bike and others to come. It will become cheaper in time.

Or, get an awesome job that pays very well and then pay someone else to do it.

Edited by pterry
  • Like 2

Engine REBUILD might not be the best way to start doing your own wrenching.

Engine SWAP might be doable.

Also, this is the time of year used bikes start going up for sale.

Yeah, jump over to the DRZ specific forum.

You'll get TONS of advice, and maybe an offer or 3 for your bike as is.

• Like 1

I said I never heard of a DRZ with a bottom end failure, actually that's not true.  There's one person on TT in Georgia who had a bottom end failure at about 6000 miles.  It ended up happening multiple times because both sides of the crankcase did not match from the factory.  He had to buy both sides of the crankcase and his engine lasted 60,000 more miles.

I would not recommend repairing this problem yourself unless you've rebuilt a motor before, maybe disassemble it to sell as parts.  I agree that doing an engine swap would be the best idea, or just replacing the bottom end depending on your comfort level.

The bike should be worth $1000 dollars as is.  No matter what you're going to loose money. 

Check your Craigslist for back yard garage mechanics. I've found an ex (retired) Honda shop wrench and a local drag bike motor builder (retired racer of them)  that are both reasonable and very good from my CL.  Ask them some questions to guage what they know, visit their shop and see what their work area and tools and bikes they are working on (causally of course) and then judge for yourself. 

I do a fair amount of my own work now, but having seen my 350 motor disassembled I can tell you it's VERY intimidating. There are lots of little parts that that don't just show themselves.  Be wary if you don't have experienced guidance.  😉

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

Check your Craigslist for back yard garage mechanics. I've found an ex (retired) Honda shop wrench and a local drag bike motor builder (retired racer of them)  that are both reasonable and very good from my CL.  Ask them some questions to guage what they know, visit their shop and see what their work area and tools and bikes they are working on (causally of course) and then judge for yourself. 

I do a fair amount of my own work now, but having seen my 350 motor disassembled I can tell you it's VERY intimidating. There are lots of little parts that that don't just show themselves.  Be wary if you don't have experienced guidance.   😉

Smart advice. I found my old machinist fabricator that I forgot about 20 years ago on C.L.. Now all CNC'd I'm loving it.

Thanks guys. I think I'll take the engine out when I get some time and take it to someone like that maybe. Who knows maybe I'll just tear it open and see if I can figure it out with YouTube and google

There's a guy on the DRZ forum named NOBLE who is from Washington and he is extremely savy about DRZ's. I get the impression he works on bikes "on the side" and he would be a great person to contact. Send him a PM and see......if nothing else, maybe a referral.... 😉

• Like 2

I searched for him and sent a message to Nobel. Is that the only way to contact someone specifically on this?

yep......once he replies it'll be different. If I was needing work done, and I lived in Washington, there's no doubt I'd get in touch with him. Hopefully he will want to do the work..... 😏

• 10 months later...

Since I'm totally new to this forum, and don't want to &%$#@! up and make a new thread, i ask here;) Got myself in a pickle. Just bought a 2008 drz400 sm, and it started making a bad sound after just 2-3 days riding(Total of maybe 2 hours) Took it apart and found out the piston was in bad shape. So i have to get a new one. My question is, how much play should the rod have on the crankshaft? i filmed and here is the youtube link: 

Any answer is a good answer 😉 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'm totally new to this forum, and don't want to &%$#@! up and make a new thread, i ask here;) Got myself in a pickle. Just bought a 2008 drz400 sm, and it started making a bad sound after just 2-3 days riding(Total of maybe 2 hours) Took it apart and found out the piston was in bad shape. So i have to get a new one. My question is, how much play should the rod have on the crankshaft? i filmed and here is the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCa7qf4dxi4 

Any answer is a good answer 😉

Not sure if you got this figured out yet, but the DRZ forum here at TT is the best option for getting advice specific to the DRZ.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP:

Find a used, crashed, whatever DRZ and swap the engine. Even if you find a dirt only model with kick start, you can use the parts from it for a pretty easy engine swap, so long as you don't mind kick starting. But there are dirt only electric start models too.....

You then can part out the rest of the bike, or keep it around for spare whatever else you may need.