Anyone have any tips for riding on loose rocks and bolders?

This is one of my biggest problems when riding in trails because once you hit a rock wrong it throws you off balance and sometimes off the trail. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or anything to help riding in these conditions. Thanks

Keep your knees in closer to the seat when it's rough and let the bike flow with the trail. Don't try to muscle the bars too much, the bike will find it's own path as long as it's basically pointed the right direction. use the weight and momentum of the bike to drive THROUGH rock gardens, not over them. Ride a gear higher and about 5 mph faster than you are now. Weight the seat lightly to stabilize it when it starts to bounce.

• Like 2

Stand. Stay loose. Let the bike move under you. When the bike kicks out to one side move your ass out to the same side so that when the back wheel touches down the bike will flick back right under you. Your head and shoulders should flow in a straight line with the bike moving around underneath you. I'm an old-time trials rider, so I don't advocate gripping the bike with your knees. It isn't necessary, it will make you have to put your feet down to paddle through, and on a trials bike there isn't even anything to grip! 

• Like 3

Stand. Stay loose. Let the bike move under you. When the bike kicks out to one side move your ass out to the same side so that when the back wheel touches down the bike will flick back right under you. Your head and shoulders should flow in a straight line with the bike moving around underneath you. I'm an old-time trials rider, so I don't advocate gripping the bike with your knees. It isn't necessary, it will make you have to put your feet down to paddle through, and on a trials bike there isn't even anything to grip! 

Yep,

Try riding a little bow legged so that the bike can move around under you without throwing you sideways. Try not to touch the seat.

Yep,

Try riding a little bow legged so that the bike can move around under you without throwing you sideways. Try not to touch the seat.

Stand up, and don't be afraid to give it gas 

stand, let the bike move under you, and carry a little speed.

All of the above. But there's nothing like a few video lessons to get the point across:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

A Scott's won't make up for lack of technique. Practice is free. When you're solid in your technique and working on your speed, then is the time to consider the considerable expense of a stabilizer.

What are you, some kinda communist or sumpin? Geez, suggestin learning to ride before buying trikshit for yer mocycle.

• Like 3

I too am having problems with some baseball to soccer ball sized rocks that litter 100 yard patches all around my local lake...if I try to treat them like rocky trail (just go faster) they bounce ya to complete loss of control over direction, but if I go slower, the front tire wants to roll sideways off the rocks and tries to high side me if I try to gas out of it

I too am having problems with some baseball to soccer ball sized rocks that litter 100 yard patches all around my local lake...if I try to treat them like rocky trail (just go faster) they bounce ya to complete loss of control over direction, but if I go slower, the front tire wants to roll sideways off the rocks and tries to high side me if I try to gas out of it

Yeah I found that some of the things that people said earlier like shifting up a gear and riding a little bow legged helped a lot

Yeah I found that some of the things that people said earlier like shifting up a gear and riding a little bow legged helped a lot

I am decent at letting the bike flick around under me (bowlegged)...but when your tire is hitting the next rock, before it's off the last one, it gets insane quickly...I wish I had a pic of these rocks

Even my much more experienced buddies don't ride these patches willingly. ...so I'm just trying to learn how to show em up

If I was capable of setting up my own suspension...I would try going super soft and see how she rolls (at least on the comp setting, dunno how rebound would be affected)

But i also wonder, often, if the springs in my crf250x are too stiff for my 165 lb self

Edited by bobsled