Installing ice studs ?

Hi, Quick question guys, when I'm installing ice studs, do I have to remove the tire off the rim to fit them ?   Or can I just screw 'em in with the tire on ?

These type of studs I'm using:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/034-ORIGINAL-034-GOLD-SCREWS-ATV-Motorcycle-Ice-Race-Studs-AMA-CMA-OGS-7-16-034-250-/121441533988?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 

Thanks in advance for any advice, I've never fitted ice studs before..

I used the same studs on a brand new set of tires and they eventually poked through after a couple hours of riding and shredded my tubes. I took them all out and ground the screw tip flat on each and every one... Took a couple hours but put them back in with new tubes and they were good to go. Turned into a lot of work but a guys gotta ride!

• Like 1

To build ice tires you should use long screws 3/4"+ and put another tire inside your tire. The screws go into both tires to hold them securely. You cut the bead out of the inside tire and use clamps to install the tires.

A better choice for mixed surfaces is car tire studs. Use a drill to create a hole then a stud tool to put in the stud. One per knob vs 5 for ice screws.

• Like 1