Kx100/200 super mini woods bike

I'm building a mini woods bike kx100 with a kdx200 air cooled motor. Almost complete ill post some pics soon. One of my last hurdles is the sprocket and chain pitch differance. So looking for a counter shaft sprocket for the kdx200 in a 420/428 pitch or a rear sprocket for the kx100 in a 520 pitch. I have scoured the usual internet parts houses to no avail and spoken to pbi sprockets. I would hate to have to get a custom sprocket made since I'm not sure of the final gearing I'll need. There should be a data base for interchangeable sporckets somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated

I'm building a mini woods bike kx100 with a kdx200 air cooled motor. Almost complete ill post some pics soon. One of my last hurdles is the sprocket and chain pitch differance. So looking for a counter shaft sprocket for the kdx200 in a 420/428 pitch or a rear sprocket for the kx100 in a 520 pitch. I have scoured the usual internet parts houses to no avail and spoken to pbi sprockets. I would hate to have to get a custom sprocket made since I'm not sure of the final gearing I'll need. There should be a data base for interchangeable sporckets somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated

1978-81 Honda XR185 uses 428 pitch. Believe the 1982-1985 Honda XR200 (not R) used 428 pitch too. Don't know if the CS sprocket fits air cooled KDX200 however. 

Sounds like a cool project!

Edited by shrubitup

1978-81 Honda XR185 uses 428 pitch. Believe the 1982-1985 Honda XR200 (not R) used 428 pitch too. Don't know if the CS sprocket fits air cooled KDX200 however. 

Sounds like a cool project!

Does sound cool.

You could perhaps lace a different hub to the 16" 100 rim and use standard 520 sprockets on the rear .

The brake disc might give you trouble if you went that route though.

Thought about using a different hub but then I would have brake and axel problems plus want to keep the mini hubs to keep the weight down. I lengthened the swingarm 2" and laced up a 17" rim to the stock hub with a 17" trials tire that looks like it will work perfect. I thought a18" rim and tire would be to big. I'm trying to make the ergonomics a little bigger to fit me I'm 5'8". I found some 2" pivoting bar risers so I can push the bars forward and up. I relocated the foot pegs 1" lower and 1" back. I had to cut the front down tube and move it forward about 2" and of course the exhaust was a major pain had to cut up 3 pipes to make it fit, the kx exhaust is on the left side.. The sprocket is my last hurdle. The unofficial bathroom scale is at 171 it feels amazing in the garage lol.

• Like 2

You have some great fab skills! That is going to be a fun ride when it's done. How did you lengthen the swingarm? I don't see any welds, did you add material somewhere or make a complete new one? I have been wishing they made a trials tire that would fit my KX, you have solved that problem nicely. Keep 'em coming, this is mighty interesting!

• Like 1

I expected that to look like a home grown horror and I was very wrong. Your project looks factory clean. I getting tired of being humbled . The 79 kx125 (possibly 1980 also) ran a 428 chain. It's very possible you could use the front sprocket from that bike

Also try SideWinder sprockets. They make a 428 reduction kit for some of the older bikes. I looked into using a 428 on my 83 KX and they had sprockets for me

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I took 2 swing arms and cut just in front of the chain guard, and had them welded back together 2" longer, then ground the welds down And then I powder coated silver platinum. I finally got a hold of PBI sprockets and the made a KX100 rear sprocket in 520 pitch so that solves the last problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for the first test ride on the kxd super mini enduro (WOW). Still a few things to work out but this is going to be a fun bike. The motor is very easy to ride. Very linier power curve no big hit just pulls strong. The modified frame ergo fit me just right handle bars pushed 2" forward, foot pegs 1" lower and 1" back. Seat height is 35" I'm 5'7" and I can flat foot it. The 17" rear trials works great. Rear shock spring from a 87 200 is about 5.0 kg just right for my 160lbs and fit over the kx shock body with one small collar. I'm running the 28mm keihin carb and seems to be perfect. I will be trying to build a proper pipe to get as much torque as poss. The pipe on it now is made up out of 3 pipes just to get some thing to work with, This is a woods only bike so I won't see any high speed wide open stuff. Right the trusty bath room scale has it at 173lbs but I will be adding bark busters and poss kickstand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Yea the wheel base is 53" weight is 173 lbs. after the 2nd ride and dialing the jetting runs real well but I think he pipe is holding it back it should have a little more bottom end. I'll have to try build a pipe that work on the bottom end.