Thanksgiving week at Stonyford

I am thinking of taking a few days to camp and ride at Stonyford Sunday through Wednesday. I have seen Davis Flat the weekend after Thanksgiving and it looked like a small city. People were literally parked three deep. I have no inclination to join a  huge camping crowd. 

My question is: When does the crowd usually start forming?

I'm thinking of hitting one of the upper campgrounds that weekend.  Getting away from the parking lot that is Davis Flat would be nice.  There is a number of spots up M5 I think. My little truck can make that dirt road a breeze.  I saw a huge RV try & make that trek, it wasn't pretty. Little Stonyford has a rule of no overnight camping. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!?ss=110508&ttype=recarea&recid=25140&actid=32&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&cid=1935&pname=Stonyford++Recreation+Area+-+Little+Stony+Campground

Slyko Jr's clutch should be fixed by then.  Lord knows I'm such an excellent camper!!!!!!

Time to whip out the map👍

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5145207.pdf

Edited by superslyko

I am thinking of taking a few days to camp and ride at Stonyford Sunday through Wednesday. I have seen Davis Flat the weekend after Thanksgiving and it looked like a small city. People were literally parked three deep. I have no inclination to join a huge camping crowd.

My question is: When does the crowd usually start forming?

Prior to Turkey day isnt bad. Its the 3 days after that suck.

Just a thought.  

I've been there when the RV's covered the entire area.  They parked each other in.  Kids were hauling the mail in the camping area, dust was everywhere!  It was mass bedlam.

1/2 mile outta the staging area, the place was empty.

The most crowed I've ever seen the trails, was racing in an Enduro.  We covered the entire park, but 10 feet off the trail, it was empty.  They didn't close the park for others, there was a quad that got stuck on "our" trail & the head on with the guy who had to go the opposite way.   🤦

"No Camping" at the little stony staging area that is just past the campground.

I saw an RV head up M5 but they wanted to get to Davis Flats so they came  down 17N30 which is that trail that starts at the nail track and goes up to M5.  I couldn't believe they made those switchback near the bottom.

Last time I camped at Stonyford with Scott, the group was warming the bikes up ready to go  and Scott comes out of the RV he was in still in street clothes and his fluffy slippers. The kicker was he started the conversation out by mentioning he still needed to change his jets.

Jim,

Remember meeting at  stony just to never unload cuz your footpeg was busted?

I've done the a$$hole to peehole at Stony. Never again.

Edited by damone