98 cartridge forks (question)

anyone have a 98 specific service manual?

I picked up a set of 98 dirt forks for my older 92, and am going through them before installing (replacing the 92 forks).

Problem is the 2 manuals i have don't differentiate for the 98 cartridge style forks, which is by-and-large fine, except the fork seals on these 98's have me on hold, as it looks like i'd damage them if i try and work them out with a small flat bladed screwdriver (like i would on the 92's).  So just looking for guidance on whether i "slide hammer" that fork seal out (sliding the tube and slider back and forth), or if that seal needs to come out first, along with possibly some sort of circlip that might be under that seal?

I'll admit that i've not done much with forks over the years other than change the oils, so its not at all out of the question that i'm just missing something obvious.  I've had the 92's apart in the past, and a few others here and there, but thats it, and this fork seal looks different, so don't want to needlessly jack them up...

i can add a pic if necessary, but hopefully someone with the cartridge forks will know what i'm getting at.

pic would help.  suzuki-dr350-1998-w-front-damper_bigsue0

forks have a outer dust/mud seal that can be removed with a small flat head, then under that is the cir-clip and then down to the actual fork seal.

so if you have not removed a cir-clip then gently pry it out.

Edited by Excitable

thanks excitable...

i don't think i have that outer dust seal, which looks to be #7 in the diagram, but part #5 with the #6 spring boot tightener (if i'm reading that right).  So if i am reading it right, its getting #5 out of there which may be my issue.  But i'll get a snap shot later and post it to see if i'm looking at the right thing.

here's a pic of the seal i'm wondering about.

This shows how I received the used 98 forks, apparently without an outer dust seal (?)

the seal you can see is the one I'm wondering about, whether i should pry that out with a small flathead, and then maybe a circlip is revealed, or do i just "slide hammer" the whole thing out?FullSizeRender.jpg

Closing the loop (mostly....):

Finally got back out to shop and pulled the dust seal and circlip, and then got everything apart.

But had to see it all apart (the hard way) before I could see what all that dust seal included and how to get it out next time without messing it up.  I'll just say that on this first go-around the dust seal and circlip would not be usable again, even if i wanted to.  A little thick-headed of me, but all good now for the other side to do it easier and right...

Would love to have someone chime in and confirm what it is I have with these "new-to-me" used forks, which I believe are off a '98 350 (mystery bike), being installed on my '92 DR S model. 

The diagram above from Excitable looks to be an accurate representation.... is that from a 98 dirt model?  if so, that's that.

The manuals I have, one suzuki brand service manual, plus one more from Chilton or Haines, don't quite match what i have, and don't even mention any differences in the fork models, even though they include "90-98" or some such date range.  spring length is wrong, there are some obviously different parts, etc.  They look to match what i have on my old 92 forks.  Mainly just curious, since the manuals say they address the 98 model as well, but things don't match up.

Also, since i'm not 100% sure what i have with these forks, and don't have a manual that matches them for specs, can anyone chime in on how much fork oil to add?  I have one reference to 494ml off this forum, which is what i used for now, and seems to be fine, but looking for some backup on that.

thx

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

Buying forks and not sure of what bike they came off of is a major problem, do you even know if they are Showa of Kayaba's?  About all I can suggest is that you research them as much as possible and then just take an educated guess.  And it's not like 50cc's either way would ruin the forks, the performance will change but at least they won't seize. 

Buying forks and not sure of what bike they came off of is a major problem, do you even know if they are Showa of Kayaba's?  About all I can suggest is that you research them as much as possible and then just take an educated guess.  And it's not like 50cc's either way would ruin the forks, the performance will change but at least they won't seize. 

Thanks, but its not that kind of 3-stooges scenario.... They are definitely from a DR350, and they fit and work great now, now that they're all buttoned up after servicing.

Only question is really which model 350, as I know there are a couple different forks offered on the different DR models, based on model and year.  The schematic above from excitable is basically what i have, but that schematic is not what i have in the 2 manuals that i have.  I'm just looking to nail down with some confidence the details on the fork model, so i can know which specs to chase down (schematics, service details, etc.)

appear to be 98-99 DR350 forks.

Thanks, but its not that kind of 3-stooges scenario.... They are definitely from a DR350, and they fit and work great now, now that they're all buttoned up after servicing.

Only question is really which model 350, as I know there are a couple different forks offered on the different DR models, based on model and year.  The schematic above from excitable is basically what i have, but that schematic is not what i have in the 2 manuals that i have.  I'm just looking to nail down with some confidence the details on the fork model, so i can know which specs to chase down (schematics, service details, etc.)

Sections 16 (DR350W) and 17 (DR350 W/X and DR350SEW/SEX) of the Factory Service Manual has complete instuctions for servicing these forks (including the diagram shown in the previous post).

The Suzuki manual adds year models as sequential sections but does not repeat earlier sections when there is no change.

I know this thread is several years old, however, i'm looking around for info on how to adjust the spring preload on the cartridge fork models. the damper tube forks have the big screw cap, but I'm looking at a 98, and I don't see how you can adjust sag. Any help?

there is no adjustable preload for the forks

crap. What do you do? spec out the right springs and hope? I'm assuming I can swap out my racetech springs from my damper rod forks in my 91 and make them work. might have to cut a new piece of PVC pipe for the preload, though.

Fork spring preload is adjusted by cutting new spacers, longer or shorter. Typically thin wall steel or pvc pipe is used.

On 11/21/2014 at 0:01 PM, gmc28 said:

anyone have a 98 specific service manual?

I picked up a set of 98 dirt forks for my older 92, and am going through them before installing (replacing the 92 forks).

Problem is the 2 manuals i have don't differentiate for the 98 cartridge style forks, which is by-and-large fine, except the fork seals on these 98's have me on hold, as it looks like i'd damage them if i try and work them out with a small flat bladed screwdriver (like i would on the 92's).  So just looking for guidance on whether i "slide hammer" that fork seal out (sliding the tube and slider back and forth), or if that seal needs to come out first, along with possibly some sort of circlip that might be under that seal?

I'll admit that i've not done much with forks over the years other than change the oils, so its not at all out of the question that i'm just missing something obvious.  I've had the 92's apart in the past, and a few others here and there, but thats it, and this fork seal looks different, so don't want to needlessly jack them up...

i can add a pic if necessary, but hopefully someone with the cartridge forks will know what i'm getting at.

See Thisoldtractor.com.  The manual avalable there covers the 1998 and 1999 forks as well as the older years.