won't shift to first Yamaha

I got a yZ125 and half way threw a race I noticed my bike wouldn't shift back in to first so I had to use my clutch a lot and be in second any idea what this can be and what I need to fix? Thank you

More than likely the dogs on your gear are worn. Could potentially be one of the trans bearings. Either way, you are going to have to split the cases and inspect everything according to your service manual.

You may find your problem in the shift mechanism under the clutch cover. Your shift lever has to move a further distance to downshift from 2nd to 1st than any of the other gears (upshifting as well) to turn the drum past neutral. If there is something not allowing full movement???

I'm not saying it's definitely the problem. Just that it's worth checking out very carefully before going through the trouble of removing the engine and splitting the cases.

I got a yZ125 and half way threw a race I noticed my bike wouldn't shift back in to first so I had to use my clutch a lot and be in second any idea what this can be and what I need to fix? Thank you

Make sure you're levers not hitting the frame... Man did I ever feel like a dumbass after tearing it down, putting it back together and watching it hit the frame :D

Holy shit it is and I'm already tearing it down!!! Dammit

haha! Sorry! Glad you got it figured out though.  I am a technician and I had assumed you already had checked for things holding up the shift lever, damn my mind set haha..  That is what I get for assuming. ? .

Your good man but thanks for the help I really appreciated it now I know what it would be if it's not hitting the frame next time

Yes sir! Like James said, it could also be a shift mechanism problem but usually when it is the shift mechanism the bike has trouble going into all gears not just first, that is if it goes at all.

Is that like the shift shaft I just replaced that 3 weeks ago

Yes that is one part of it, You have the shift shaft, shift drum, and the actual mechanism. Kind of hard to describe, might try and google it or search it on this site. It has tiny spring preloaded tabbits and it is bolted to your shift drum. The tabbits sit inside a bracket that your shift shaft attaches to which turns the shift drum.

Glad to hear you found the issue hopefully.

What year is your bike? '05's had a defective shift stopper. Lots of threads on that issue.

I personally would change the gearing and get away from having to use first gear. It eliminates any chance of hitting neutral.

KC

• 2 weeks later...