How to ride a 250 2t

Grip it and rip it!

In all seriousness, get used to the power delivery. You want to be wanting the bike to take-off when you want it to, not randomly on a slick jump face. Just have fun with it, this year is the first time I've rode a 250t consistently and my only goal was to enjoy myself. The sound alone is enough to make me grin ear to ear.

• Like 3

• Experts

I think understanding the differences between 2 and 4 strokes will help. Ever since sometime in the early 80s two strokes have put to good use the development of a power valve in the exhaust port.  This power valve has smoothed out the hit of the two stroke’s power band a great deal.  But in order to get a lot of horsepower out of that two stoke engine they still have a certain amount of hit to the power band.  This is the biggest difference between the two and four stroke.  The four stroke is just smooth tractor like power right off idle all the way upstairs.  This is why the four strokes depend less on the clutch and more on throttle control.  You don’t have to help it into the power with the clutch nearly as much as with the two strokes. 

The other difference is with engine braking.  When you’re going down a straight away and you shut off the throttle on a two stroke the back pressure from the engine will slow you down a little, but on the four stroke this engine braking is much stronger.  This will make the Exit Dex of a corner (where you go from braking to accelerating) easier.  You don’t have to be quite as precise with the brakes.  This engine braking effect will affect you on jumps too  because if you roll the throttle off on the take off of a jump it will throw the front end down much more on a four stroke.  This won’t be as noticeable if you’re in a higher gear. 

Since you don’t have to be as precise with the clutch and throttle and the brakes on a 4 stroke they are easier to ride. 

At this point in time that’s the main differences between the 2 and 4 strokers.  The actually riding techniques are the same.  The way I see it it’s all good. 

All the details for the clutch, throttle and shifting techniques are shown in this DVD, see a free preview here; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-3-clutch-throttle-clutch-control/

<iframe src="http://cloud.ezwebplayer.com/iframe.htm?v=6EyxwSe&w=695&h=521"style="border-width:0;width:695px;height:521px" scrolling="no" allowFullScreen></iframe>

VO3 DVD #3.jpg
  • Like 3

Get some how to ride vids.. I got some semics vids and those are great..He has a ton of different ones.. I think I have the 2 day class or something like that.... actually I have a whole flock of vids .skills 1,2, 3.. shane watts etc too.. I would just buy it and watch it over and over.. I'd look at the specific part I have more of a problem with and keep watching... I have.a whole bunch of different how to ride vids and they are all great. I also just watch all kinds of racing vids.. enduro and mx and just watch how guys do different techniques.. I'm on the taller side so I also look at how the bikes are set up and I look at some of the taller riders to see how there riding position is etc..Davi milsap, windham, vullemin, Even just little things help.. moving the bars forward and a higher seat and pegs moved a little further back etc.. all of it helps. There are some books too.. dirtrider has a good one and I think eric gorr has a book too.. There are other threads on this too. Put a search. ... Oh and I forgot.. then you have to practice .. I think one of the last things that I've learned has to do with jumping logs....I jumped them before but now the technique is way better and consistent.... not mx but still riding stuff.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Besides all the goon moves, Ronnie Mac is the perfect example of how a 2t should be ridden. Lol keep the momentum up

That's cos he is a national level AMA pro, and he is wide open everywhere, and his lines are wacky, not such a good example. His CR250 certainly does sound crisp though !! 

Can you guys give me some pointers on how to ride a 250 two stroke (well) on the moto track?

Yes. Step one; learn to ride it well in an open field in a straight line. Then learn how to turn the thing, carry momentum, brake hard, accelerate hard, then add some hills and obstacles. Then learn to do all that really fast and take note of how it seems to be aimed from the rear and the handle bars are sorta there as a place to put the clutch, front brake lever and throttle and to sorta balance the thing, often turning them in the opposite direction the rear tire wants to go.

Two strokes are about learning to ride; clutch, shift, brakes, lean, slide, throttle, lots of body. 4 strokes are just a lot easier to ride well sooner. Two strokes are kinda all go or all stop. 4 strokes are engine braking and throttle control.

I would strongly recommend getting use to the thing before you worry about doubles and ruts and blown up corners and flying table tops out of a turn.

• 2 months later...

Is it better to ride a 250 2 stroke in 2nd gear screaming around turns high in the rpm's or in 3rd about mid pipe?  I know it depends on  how big the turn is but was just wondering how to keep the momentum up through turns.   They has to be a trick or something.   Maybe if my suspension wasn't stock.  IDK... 

I'm having trouble going fast through turns and where there is big breaking bumps.  Don't know if I need to be in 2nd pinned or 3rd mid pipe.  I'm 170lb 43yr old and race in 35+ and 40+ class.

I try to go fast but seems like the suspension bounces me around in the big bumps.  Clickers are out on forks comp at 12 out and 9 out on rebound.  Suspension comp is 10 out and rebound is like 6 out  High com is 1 and a half out.

Sag is 100mm with 28 static.

Get in a wide open place and ride it wide open in all gears as hard as you can for an hour.

Hard gas then hard brakes at different spots. You'll get used to your bike and where the power is quick.

Hard as you can!!! Look over somewhere when you start getting comfortable. Then take that to the track.

Squeeze with the knees and go enjoy the track.

Helped me.